Being a teacher trainer
This online course has been designed to help new or inexperienced teacher trainers feel more confident as they make the transition from teacher to trainer.
This is a fully online course which you can take at your own pace. Study during the week when it is convenient for you
You can fit your study around your training and other duties
The focus of this course is on developing practical training skills to use in your job immediately
Through forums, interactive content and regular contact with the tutors, you’ll feel part of a learning community
Upcoming course dates
FAQs about the course
This course is aimed at new teacher trainers who have little experience and who see themselves as at the ‘From Teacher to Trainer’ stage on the Cambridge English Trainer Framework.
However, you don’t have to be working in a formal training context. You may be a DoS or centre manager who is responsible for organising teacher development at your school. You may be a line manager or senior teacher who has to carry out observations of experienced teachers in your centre. You may be a conference presenter or someone who delivers in-house teacher development sessions to practising teachers. You may be involved in mentoring or coaching. Or you may be a newly qualified CELTA trainer embarking on your first courses. This course is essentially for anyone who works with teachers and there really is something for everyone.
Likewise, the course is not restricted to any one training context and the content has been designed to be used in a variety of learning and teaching situations. Each unit involves reflection tasks in which you are encouraged to consider how the input is applicable to you and the context you work in.
The course is 10 weeks’ long and the course modules are released on a Monday at 10.00 (UK time)
We estimate around 4-5 hours a week. We understand that you have busy working lives and we don’t want to pile too much on top of that. We also hope that it integrates well with your teaching or training, so some of those hours are a natural part of what you do anyhow.
We primarily view this as a CPD (continuing professional development) so the goal is not to set unreasonable demands to achieve the certificate. Rather we want the course tasks to be genuinely helpful in developing your skills. There are a few expectations though that we believe will help both you and the course be successful, namely:
- You make reasonable contributions to the forum discussions throughout the course.
- You complete the 8 course units.
- You are fully registered on the course and have completed payment.
Yes, if you complete all the requirements mentioned above.
In some form, yes. You will be given permanent access to a self-study version of the course containing most of the content and you will be able to access the course forum via a special group set up.
Course aims and syllabus
- Identify the various roles and key competencies of teacher trainers working in different contexts.
- Develop and implement a teacher training programme.
- Plan and deliver a teacher training session taking different approaches, building in variety and interest.
- Manage the process of classroom observation, including providing pre-lesson support with planning.
- Provide effective written and oral feedback on teaching and manage the post-lesson discussion sensitively.
- Encourage critical reflection as part of an experientially-driven teacher training model.
- Reflect on their practice and continue their professional development.
Apply for a course
Please complete the form below to send to our admin team. This is not a commitment to take the course, but our team will respond to any questions you might have and provide a link to the official application form.