sue robbins
Participant
    @suerobbins

1. Which of the six principles reviewed above do you find the most difficult to interpret? And why?

When designing slides for online teaching this year I found it challenging to work with the Signalling principle. It required keeping in mind an overview of the whole year, semester, module aims, scope and sequence of the taught elements when designing weekly content in order to supply cues about the hierarchical concepts of the module at each stage and not just within one set of weekly slides. To facilitate this I resorted to storyboarding the module to ensure that the elements fitted together in the way we had supposed they did prior to the emergency pivot, and focused on the constructive alignment of the various elements. At each stage I found myself having to make multiple decisions about how/when to make such cues explicit.

2. Which ONE principle do you think might not work so well with non-native speakers?

Home students I work with (foundation level) seem to find Signalling most challenging, possibly because they tend to focus primarily on the subject-specific content and on their own position on the topic. The higher order thinking about how to explain that well to an audience takes more time to develop given their mental model of argumentation is still under construction and needs regular trial-feedback-trial opportunities.

My experience with non-native speakers (contested term), on the other hand, is that they may lack the confidence required to deliver a presentation without a script (whether as physical notes, text-heavy slides or reciting from memory) and as a result have difficulty with Redundancy, which can lead to a narration of what is on their slides. As @caitlin says, however, there is a link between language proficiency and confidence, and this may affect students’ willingness to take risks :bye: