Jemima Perry
Participant
    @jemima

Have you seen examples from your own experience where e-learning both lived up to its promise of delivering effective and engaging content and where it failed to deliver what it promised?

I agree with Paula’s comments about the Corpus course. I found the activities engaging and useful because they made you practice the features that they had just introduced you to. By practicing a number of times I was able to remember how to use the tools when in the ‘real world’ i might just perform a search once, then the net time I want to do I I’ve forgotten how! (Is this an example of ‘Acceleration of expertise through scenarios’? When I was reading the text I wondered if this promise was relevant in our field, but maybe it is?

In terms of the pitfalls, again similarly to Paula, I’ve been writing the storyboards for some asynchronous materials this year which TEL have then been transforming into the online materials. I’ve been finding it hard to find useful images and provide multimedia materials. TEL have been doing an amazing job of making the materials more interactive but I feel that the materials themselves have not always been very suitable for online asynchronous delivery.

Question about the text: I was also wondering about the near and far transfer perform goals. Is it like controlled and free practice of a language point?

I was also really interested in the idea of customizable lessons which would provide more practice for those that need it and allow other to move on to the next stage. I often provide links to other sites for students to go to if they think they need more practice, but I don’t know how well this works and it would be great to be able to actually build this into the lesson. I guess this needs some super complex software though!?