sue robbins
Participant
    @suerobbins

1. How many of the principles in the chapter were exemplified by the video review activity:

• The video activity itself exemplified principles:

2/19 – helped us learn/remember new material better by incorporating comprehension questions rather than asking us to passively watch, and required us to produce answers rather than just recognise correct ones

3/24 – offered automated feedback on the questions

6 – used a human to help us learn/remember better

17 – gave us an opportunity for retrieval practice

• Within the context of the course so far the video exemplified principles:

7 – gave us an elaborative rehearsal opportunity to consolidate prior learning

9 – the video format offered another input mode – building on reading/slides/live sessions

14/15 – gave us an opportunity for spaced and interleaved practice

16 – indirectly, it gave me an opportunity to evaluate what I have learned/remembered so far

2. Did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences?

3 – finding ways to encourage students to access feedback can be tricky. Something we’ve been doing is requiring students to identify a piece of feedback they’ve received and show how they have acted on it in the current submission. Their responses can be a bit formulaic, but the hope is that this type of elaborative rehearsal opportunity will build understanding over time

13 – it can be difficult to establish emotional links with (e.g.) aspects of academic writing. What we’ve been doing is allowing students to select their own topic, and one that really matters to them, so that the emotional engagement comes through the content rather than through the features of academic writing

20/23 – it’s been good to have the opportunity to introduce my own ‘desirable difficulties’ (e.g. by accessing additional resources) and spending more time on learning H5P in a ‘trial and error’ kind of way

25 – I’ve printed out the readings so far (I like to annotate by hand), but am aware that many/most of my students do not have a printer and therefore read online. Also, I think there is a lack of agreement on this point within the literature which seems to conclude that students read differently on screen, but not necessarily better in print.

The Learning Scientists is a site that I’ve found useful (apologies if you’re already familiar with it)