Caitlin Coyle
Participant
      @caitlin

1. How many of the principles in the article do you think were demonstrated by the video review activity? 

Yes, I agree with the others too. I saw 2, 6, 7, 9 and 19. There were probably more, but those are the ones I noted down

2. Also, did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences?

I thought there could be some potential tension between Principle 8: Cognitive Load Minimized (especially part g on the redundancy principle) and Principle 9: Multimodal Repetition. I think perhaps the example they give with follow-up activities may be ok, or perhaps repeating things in different ways in different lessons. It did when I read it, especially as the ideas were is such close proximity, make me stop and think whether there was any contradiction between the points.

Another interesting idea/principle was the testing one. I remembering attending a Cambridge English webinar about assessment where they asked ‘Can there be any learning without assessment?’. To which the expected answer was ‘no’, and at the time I agreed with this and still do to an extent. I remember getting regularly drilled with noun declensions and verb tables in Latin and there were loads of them, but I still remember most of them, more a decade on. Additionally, whilst I do think that this rote-learning method encouraged a lower level thinking skill (memorising), it also did later allow for me to apply the grammar rules not only in Latin, but also when learning Spanish and Catalan. Nevertheless more recently, I attended a webinar about creativity given by quite a well-known and respected ELTon winner, and in their final Mentimeter Q&A I asked if they thought learning was possible without assessment. Their answer was that learning happens everyday without assessment happening (at least this is how I interpreted their answer).

Ever since then I have been wondering about this, especially as I once wrote an essay about children learn their first language and a lot of it was about how children make generalisations and entrench certain structures. Something that was interesting though was that indirect negative feedback (positive examples from adults/older children) was much more useful than a child’s parent/guardian giving them direct negative feedback e.g. ‘I writed it’–> ‘No, I wrote it’. This in turn made me think of principles 20. Desirable Difficulties and 21. Challenges to Current Mental Models. Something I have been trying to do recently in my own practice is colour-code marking criteria and aspects of students’ essays to show how I am applying the marking criteria e.g. if academic style is highlighted in blue on the marking criteria, any examples where a student could have nominalised or used hedging language etc would be highlighted blue in their essay. Students could then hopefully identify what the error was without an explicit comment from the teacher. I am finding this also makes it easier for me to write summary comments after their essays as I can quickly see which colour is highlighted most on the text, check those examples again and write a specific comment. There is some EFL research to support the use of colour-coding assessments, which seem to demonstrate how this  more indirect feedback can be beneficial (Hamid, Nasri, & Ghazali, 2018). However,  the main drawbacks I see  are related to potential accessibility issues- perceptions of colour and if a print copy is needed/desirable, the cost involved of printing in colour. I am wanting to do research on this topic but I am awaiting ethical approval which hopefully will come some as I want to start it in a month :cry: I think a lot of the texts so far on this course though point to how colour can be a simple but effective tool so thank you!