sue robbins
Participant
    @suerobbins

As a learner, which types of activities did you find engaging and which less so? Why do you think that is?

Quizzes offer opportunities for retrieval practice and when coupled with automated feedback can be a good way of supporting memory/learning. Personally, I find it hard to sustain my interest for more than one or two quizzes in a row, especially if the task type is the same.

What do you think are the challenges of creating online quizzes for students?

Quizzes seem most suited to testing things with a ‘correct’ answer, which is fine for e.g. word building or the mechanics of referencing, but in other areas might reinforce a prescriptive approach and/or convince learners that focusing on the surface features of writing is important.

Learners want to do well in tests, and to please. High stakes quizzes that only allow one attempt and/or record marks will encourage them to memorise the ‘correct’ answer and reinforce the idea that there are ‘right’ ways of using their English. This may not tally with the approach taken more widely on the course, meaning the assessment type may not match the methodology.

I need to give more thought to how many quizzes I use and for what purpose, especially as quizzing tools are built into the VLE and most content creation tools, making it easy to overuse them (or use them for lack of options). It seems difficult to integrate quizzing with a developmental approach. Quizzes might have to be used very sparingly in order not to conflict with an Academic Literacies approach. Am keen to hear others’ Ideas about this.