Caitlin Coyle
Participant
    @caitlin

Based on the content you viewed, what do you think video adds to courses?

Hi all,

Agree with all of the above: personalisation; interactivity (liked the emoji use in Loom); exposure to different accents and dialects. I also video can at times (not always!) be quicker than saying things in writing. For example, I didn’t have time in class once to go over the various websites that students can use to improve their vocab and collocations, so I introduced two in class (Flax and Oxford Text Checker) and then I made a short video after class going through some others websites (Coxhead’s AWL; EAP Foundation AWL Highlighter; Oxford Learner’s Dictionary collocation section, etc.). I was personally wasn’t too worried that the video was a bit amateurish- a recorded Zoom screencast – because it was something my students had asked for (not the video, just more ways to improve their vocab) so I though it was enough for its purpose.  I didn’t make a script but it would have perhaps been more seamless if I had made a script. Obviously though creating actual activities that would be far more time-consuming.

Something I was thinking was that a good mix of reading and listening is necessary though even if hearing is preferable to reading. I  know for example some people hate  getting whatsapp audios and would prefer the text as reading can potentially be done more easily than listening (and watching) at times. For me writing can be a real drag and making a quick audio/ screencast can be quite useful. Audio feedback is an area I’m getting interested in and maybe there is scope for video feedback. This may be very time consuming but then again so is the written! I suppose it comes down to what teachers are comfortable with, what time they are given and what they think will best help the student.