Sue Everest
Participant
      @sue

Hi all,

Just trying to catch up with everyone. I echo many sentiments expressed by others. I enjoyed reading the article, because I find that looking at any theoretical approach helps you to look at your own practice. I agree that with L2 students we cannot expect them to cope with aural information alone and I also wondered about how to depict grammar points visually. Thanks @david for your illustration, but like @azurial I also wondered how you introduced the nifty arrow. Just goes to show I’m on the right course here.

To broaden the discussion out a bit, I would like to talk about different institutions’ expectations. I mainly work for Warwick university on the pre-sessionals and OnCampus (CEG). Since March 2020 and the first lock down, when both of my employers had to provide online courses, content of teaching has been more ‘corporate’ in look for the sake of continuity. This summer, although still online, Warwick reverted back to teachers customising their own content, whereas OnCampus still provides the lesson PPTs. This means that at Warwick it is easier to apply good practice to PPTs but at OnCampus this is more difficult.

Another topic I wanted to raise is that students learn from our presentations in how to conduct their own. When they arrive, they seem to bring cultural pre-conceptions, which they have to unlearn in order to study at a UK university and I then suspect that they have to conform to the culturally different approaches once again when they return home to work. I wonder to what extent our good practice gets integrated internationally?