Sue Everest
Participant
      @sue

One example when e-learning lived up to its promise:

Last summer during the pre-sessional, I was having problems getting students to submit written work. One day, I decided to use Padlet to share and comment on each others’ work. I had to be patient and give them time to submit, but once they got going I suddenly got a lot more engagement.

One example of when e-learning failed to live up to its promise;

When first going online at the start of Covid, we found that students wouldn’t do the pre-lesson tasks on Moodle, and a lot of teacher time was wasted in class. Later this had to be linked better with student attendance records as an incentive.

Article questions:

I would like to find out more about the Guided Discovery architecture to see whether that would suit L2 learning. Also, the article highlights the gap between research and practice, which the authors intend to address. I feel this is common in EAP teaching. Schemes of Work and learning outcomes are often based on theory but are they flexible enough for individual student needs? A teacher can become dispirited knowing the ideal learning outcomes as opposed to the reality of students’ abilities. However, frequent anonymous online surveys appear to be a better way of checking understanding and learning than face to face checks.