Paul Middlemas
Participant
    @paul-m

One example when e-learning lived up to its promise 

Similar to @robert I found the LTEAP course really engaging and it struck a good balance between the theory and the practical. I was familiar with a lot of what was introduced, but the course definitely improved the way that I used these e-learning tools, and allowed for reflection. One example would be EdPuzzle, which I’d used quite regularly beforehand without actually creating my own videos or necessarily considering its efficacy as a learning tool. Going through the whole process of making my own EdPuzzle highlighted that the content and pedagogical decisions are vital, and that just using e-learning in itself isn’t a recipe to success.

One example of when e-learning failed to live up to its promise 

Perhaps not ‘failing to live up to its promise’, but I’m still unsure of the best platform for promoting student interaction, comments and reflections on message boards. I have used Blackboard’s Discussion Board, Google +, Google Classroom, Padlet and perhaps others, and I think they all have positives, but also don’t feel like learners have ever taken full ownership of these platforms (in my classes!). It may be to do with how I’ve used these in the past e.g. for sharing information, encouraging students to share their work, peer feedback, social stuff like posting photos. I have thought that it could be students don’t warm to posting on a public forum, or maybe that more gamification in these kind of platforms could increase interaction…