Sue Everest
Participant
      @sue

The principles I recognized from the article, which could be seen in the video were:

1) The steps of learning happened in the same order as the tasks that were to be completed.

2) Students learn better when engaged with the task- the tasks in the video were engaging.

3) Learn through practice.

5) Students learn best in a safe environment- we could watch the video and do the tasks in our own time, which meant less stress.

6) Video was personalised, because we could see David, which holds attention.

8) minimize cognitive load- the video was ‘chunked’ to make learning easier or more accessible. f) use of audio i) conversational style.

9) Receive learning multiple times- video was a recap of previous 3 units.

14) Learning reviewed at intervals. Similar to 9) as recap.

17) Students learn better when test themselves. The activities in the video worked well as we were in control of them. We could just look at the answers or repeat again to all correct. This alleviates stress.

Most noteworthy:

19) Produce rather than recognize answers. This feels like deeper learning. Out of the 3 tasks I found the last one, where you had to produce your own answers the most difficult. It made me think of my students in listening tests, who can be very good at gap fill questions but less good at producing answers showing deeper comprehension. With myself, I wondered whether I’d come to the end of my concentration span or was I facing more ‘new’ words and concepts or had I been trying to skim the task too much? Interesting. I did the task again.