Aaron Darmudas
Participant
    @aarond

One example when e-learning lived up to its promise

Before I attended massage therapy school the main source of information and insight into the many different massage techniques/styles was from video resources that experts had made for their own online training courses. This was the absolute best way for any beginner to build upon their skills and learn as much as they could about the anatomy and physiology of the human body. It allowed you to follow along at your own pace or just watch them work, pause/rewind whenever you want. When it came to the practical classroom learning, there was no opportunity to pause of go back and re-watch. It was full on for days on end and you learned by repeating techniques again and again.  Similarly, there are many times I use e-learning for training on how to do use a piece of software, or as a refresher for myself to recall how to perform a certain task for creating content, for example, in adobe illustrator.

One example of when e-learning failed to live up to its promise 

Attended a Microsoft windows 10 course for managing and deploying to users in Manchester and the practical course although dull was not too bad. One day however, we were forced to attend remotely. Although the building was more than capable of dealing with online teaching, the cameras recording the classroom where not functioning correctly. Microphones had stopped working so you were unable to engage with the rest of the class. All resulted in having to return for 1 day in the future to redo the content that was missed on that day. Terrible…

I have not had many negative experiences with e-learning. However, I try before I buy. Sometimes if the online course content is simply PDF overload with very little user interaction or practical engagement that is assessed, then I will not enrol. Many online platforms allow you the opportunity to do this, which I think is a great feature.