Ana Vucicevic
Participant
    @ana93

Hi,

Yes, @anastasios and @manu, I believe that disciplinary environment may point to learning preferences. The groups I observed liked illustrations, shapes, drawings, colours – something concrete, definite and visual. The lecturer used numerous symbols from formal logic, graphs, different charts, classifications to make grammar and lexis points more understandable, more connected. It made the language recyclable. It immediately rang a bell when I saw wordcloud – I remember they used something similar when covering some language notions related to statistics and distribution.

As for what @babruwan suggested, yes, definitely, we should take account of them (not) being comfortable with sharing their writing. A colleague of mine introduced some anonymised examples from the previous years and found out that students were able to identify themselves with their colleagues, found  some constructions or vocabulary their colleagues had already used closer to the language they would probably use. They got more involved. Now, there is always that i+1 issue (Krashen)- I believe the teacher can resolve this and that corpus tools may be one way to do it: focusing on forms in the output and adding more complex ones in the process.  :-)