Joanna Kolota
Participant
    @joannak

How is the learning and teaching context similar from/different to the one you currently teach in (or the one you last taught in if you are not teaching at the moment)?

I work with students aged 11-16; they attend an English speaking secondary school which follows national curriculum and the language of instruction is English. The students’ linguistic and cultural backgrounds are extremely diverse; their levels of English and previous schooling experiences also vary. The contexts, therefore, are very different- I think (apologies if my assumptions are incorrect) that the group presented in the video shares the same linguistic and cultural background, they all seem to have the same level of English.

Are there any techniques or activities you could ‘steal’ from the teacher to use in your lesson?

I really liked the first activity during which the students were asked to predict what the activity might be about- they were able to actively use any lexis and grammatical structures they knew and felt comfortable using (without being limited to a particular set or being told to use new/unfamiliar ones).I also agree with the teacher who claimed that making learning activities more personal and responsive to the group’s needs and interests is essential when creating engaging and authentic tasks.

Are there any parts of the lesson that you think wouldn’t work in your teaching context? Why?

Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time to focus on certain grammatical structures/ vocabulary. There are certain parts of lessons when subject specific vocabulary is taught explicitly; grammar usually is presented in context but not studied in depth as it normally happens in EFL/ESL lessons. Some students receive additional support but most of the sessions are content driven, language is simply ‘noticed’.