Nicholas Northall
    @nick-northall

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for contributing to this task. This is quite a challenging task, so it’s great that you are engaging with and posting your timetables here.

The first thing to think about is who is the course for. This is essential when we are planning our courses. Once we have this information (perhaps by carrying out some form of needs analysis – see the earlier topics on this), we can then start to plan the outline of our course.

I have responded individually to everyone who has posted, but here is a summary of the main points:

• Our courses contain a range of different activity types including practice tasks, reflection, input and practice.
    • It is a good idea to remember the context in which we are working.
    • When we are working with teachers with a multitude of different backgrounds, we can ask them to share their experiences with each other: i.e., sharing good practice.
    • The structure of courses tends to build on previous learning – i.e. we start with some form of introduction and then build upon this.
    • Ensure you structure your timetables to avoid burnout – that is, including break times and time to reflect.
    • Ensuring that we include a range of different workshops such as tutor-led ones as well as more trainee-led (including having no tutor around!) ones.
    • Ensuring we bear-in-mind logistical issues such as when our trainees are free, when learners are available, etc.
    • A range of different input (more in Unit 3) helps to add variety to our courses.
    • It is essential to help build confidence in our teachers – especially if they haven’t taught before!
    • Most of you have given information about the courses, but also remember to include the format (in-person or online; synchronous or asynchronous).

So as you can see, designing a course is not always easy to do. Indeed, it might be impossible to design a perfect course, but as long as we are going some way to addressing and meeting our trainees’ diverse needs and motivations (including instrumental reasons for doing the course, such as gaining a certificate), we shouldn’t go too wrong!

Please do continue to post and remember to comment on each other’s work.

Cheers,
    Nick