Paul Middlemas
Participant
    @paul-m

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline? What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

I agree with a lot of what @azurial has mentioned above, especially the point that Rise looks very contemporary (but also quite traditional, too?) and vibrant.

A few points I thought of, some of which Brenda has already mentioned.

* As with the example, Rise might work better for any kind of guide, providing instructions, perhaps things like a student/teacher induction or orientation. Rise appears more ‘serious’ so, as was mentioned, could be used in many contexts e.g. in businesses.  Storyboard very much could appeal to younger learners / students.

* Both have elements of programme and learner control, but Storyline appears to be more interactive (activities, use of hotspots, student has more to click on) and so in some ways might be better for controlled practice activities (lexis or grammar). There is an element of this in Rise, too (learner can control sequencing and pacing with both). Although, to immediately contradict myself, the layout of Rise and the overview style, does give the feeling that you are more in control of where you go, whereas Storyline works in a more linear fashion.

* Although avatars/pictures can be used on both, could be said that Storyboard might be used more as a replacement teacher role, i.e. flipped learning tool (the avatar, the language used usually more personable) whereas Rise might be more like a textbook?

* Rise might work well at curriculum or course level. Whole units could be presented through Rise, and probably Storyboard could be embedded into some of these units for practice.