Nicholas Northall
    @nick-northall

Hi John,

Thanks for your positive comments about the lesson. They were a solid group of trainees, who took to the course (despite it being moved to 100% online) whole-heartily. In the initial session at the beginning of the course, where I introduced the basic theory behind error – i.e. the types of errors, why they are made, when to correct, etc – they were a little confused, but certainly took to the input and were prepared to change their minds a couple of months later:).

In terms of your question, we always provide this section on our teachers’ lesson plans: i.e. on CELTA, trainees are encouraged to think about anticipated difficulties behind classroom management, resources and understanding language. Essentially, this is included because of their lack of teaching experience and skill and as you know really makes them think about their lesson from the learners point of view.  I guess with this session, the plan I provided, as an experienced teacher/trainer didn’t include this section, as I hope I have the skills and experience to usually deal with such issues! But good point, as perhaps considering potential difficulties is something we get out of the habit of doing, due to our ‘experience’. Obviously the lesson plan/ training session plan pro-forma depends on a number of issues which we will explain in the next unit:).

Cheers,

Nick