NANEES ASGHAR
Participant
    @nanees

Hi everyone and thankyou Nick for giving us this opportunity, it really had me deep think a number of structural and delivery strategies which I normally would have just browsed over. It was admirable how you sustained a genuinely friendly and nurturing environment in spite of the technical and content issues. As a result , I found  the trainees relaxed, interested and eager to share and respond. I quite enjoyed the Cline activity and would agree with John that it was refreshing to see the trainees discuss the change in their beliefs so naturally and spontaneously. The format of the session was linear and lucid with a variety of engagement techniques. I also enjoyed the advantages/disadvantages group task and thought again about the ‘apprenticeship of observation’ and how collaboration can help.

A bit of afterthought: Trainees initially were encouraged to think about all kinds of error corrections, the session  however was mainly targeting grammar correction (just touching pronunciation here and there). It left me a bit uneasy, I kept anticipating more.

Very early on in my career a student met me after I had finished a course, and over a casual cup of tea laughed and said about one of the components “but ma’am , you should never say that its a bit dull and keep repeating it”. Its an advice that stuck with me and one that I took to heart.  Students respond to genuineness and spontaneity but they also observe and crave command. Sometimes we forget how much of ourselves we bring to the class and how important it is to live up to our role. The video really made me want to go back and look at the recordings of my own sessions. It also brought home to me the sheer importance of trial and check. And it made me an everlasting fan of micro teaching!

Question: What differentiation techniques can be used to engage non responding/shy students in an online session?

How can we implement 21 century skills in a culturally diverse class, especially with content (finger correction/denial) that might be perceived differently by different students but must be taught?