Nicholas Northall
    @nick-northall

Hi Nanees,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on the input session.

In answer to your afterthough, I think I focused more on corrected grammatical errors, due to it being quite difficult – I feel – to replicate pronunciation mistakes: e.g. notice how I tried to mis-pronounce ‘photographer’ – quite a challenge! BUT, I think you have a point here, I  personally believe that one of the main barriers to communication, can be poor pronunciation. This is especially true to my context (I work in the UK) where local, ‘native’ English speakers when communicating with learners often ignore grammatical mistakes but can genuinely come unstuck with pronunciation difficulties. When observing, I often tell my trainees to focus on pronunciation errors and introduce more pron work into their lessons…

I guess in terms of your question, I have answered this above quite a bit, but in terms of online teaching you could use the various tools available through online platforms: e.g. consider using chat, polls, mute/unmute, annotating slides, google docs etc. It is not always necessary to ask the trainees to speak in order to get a response from them.

Here are links (one, two and three) to a session Beth and I delivered as part of our summer school about increasing engagement in the main room. However, I’m not sure if you will be able to access them.

I think in terms of culturally diverse classes, then I use my common sense and knowledge of the local context. As I work in the UK, I feel that it is perfectly acceptable for me to share with trainees a variety of techniques that enhance learning. However, it is up to them to decide whether they would be appropriate in their own contexts. Having previously worked in other contexts, then I would ensure that – as far as resaonsly possible! – I stuck to the cultural norms and expectations.

I hope these answers help.

Cheers,

Nick