Brenda Allen
Participant
    @azurial

As a learner, which types of activities did you find engaging and which less so?

Those which provide a sense of immediacy and ‘instant gratification’.  Visual and tactile appeal is another important element. I find I get switched off when there are too many items or if the underlying logic is not rigorously applied throughout.  I especially liked the Word Class activity.  It is a perfect example of how online delivery can have the edge over any kind of paper f2f equivalent.

Why do you think that is?

Because they are most motivating and rewarding. Many of the best quizzes have their origins in Game Theory with their notions of challenge, levelling up and down, and competition as well as reward.  Providing instant access to the answers facilitates this, in hand with accessible explanations for rapid revision.  Ideally, triggers should also take the learner back to the original material for an impromptu revision session.  All this provides a non-intimidating learning environment where self-testing avoids the panic brought on from being publicly judged/potential loss of face.  Others, meanwhile, may prefer a more openly competitive type of challenge. Or it can be a case of progressing from self-checking to public competition once sufficient confidence has been privately acquired.

What do you think are the challenges of creating online quizzes for students?

1) Mastering the software.  2) As importantly, selecting and analysing the content to maximum effect.  3) Making them motivating and rewarding – and fun.  4) Ensuring the thing actually works!  Yes, I agree with @georgie_l that this can all necessitate much time investment.