Robert Anderson
Participant
    @robert

As a learner, which types of activities did you find engaging and which less so? Why do you think that is?

I found all of these activities initially engaging, though I think that over-dependence on one type of response can reduce this. Too many drag and drop activities in one learning sequence can give it quite a repetitive and mechanical feel. I think that this type of format can also be less challenging than other response types, particularly those in which the learner is required to actually produce language. For me, variety is key to keeping learners engaged during quizzes and interactive tasks, as is the degree of challenge, which should increase as the sequence progresses. In addition, in the examples shown here, I personally would have found feedback on why my answers were incorrect to be very useful, and links at the end of quizzes directing me where to go for review material would have been more helpful.

What do you think are the challenges of creating online quizzes for students?

Keeping preparation time down to a reasonable level is certainly one challenge, though this is less of an issue as speed increases through practice. Another difficulty is getting the degree of challenge right, as quizzes and quiz items that are too easy or too difficult are both demotivating. Challenge may be regulated through careful choices concerning both content and activity type. Perhaps one more key issue for the designer is to ensure that the quiz has genuine learning value, and that it provides helpful feedback,  both to those who are successful and to those who are not.