Rhian Webb
Participant
    @rmwebb

Hi everyone, and hi @anastasios,

I did surprisingly well 8/8 in under 4 minutes!  This exercise came naturally to me and I don’t really know why but I suspect it’s because I am a highly visual kind of person. I love noticing things, observing them in more detail and then making connections through seeing patterns or words that jump out at me, and then I can hang/link everything off the main overarching pattern.

The purpose showed me that I don’t need to have much context to go off in order to make the correct associations between the words. Also, I stopped myself thinking ‘academically’ (or turned down the sensitivity filter to making academic word associations) and ramped up the ‘what the hell is going on here & curious to see if I can figure it out…?’ mode. It felt like a fun word game, so it energised me, and the activity switched on the problem-solving part of my brain that likes to solve word games!! Perhaps my learners would find it energising and fun too!

I love the interactive part of this technology app which allows the swiping of the words into their little shapes. There’s something very tactile about that action of moving the words across the screen. It felt good to do after so much typing etc. I would love to know how you created that tech! So, I would want my students to be able to have that experience too. I’d love it if they could design their own word games, and in class, we would have to solve them, and see who got the solution in the fastest time…now that really would be fun and energising! To sum up, I wouldn’t adapt the task but I’d ask my learners to adapt it just to see what interesting problems they’d come up with :)

I really like the way we didn’t know the academic discipline in advance or know the subject discipline corpus either. This is a really cool task because it means learners, who come from a wide range of subjects and expertise, would get the appeal and challenge; everyone could have a crack at creating their own discipline word task. We could learn a lot from trying to see how words overlap or don’t overlap between specific disciplines. Really there is a lot of scope in this and I am sure students would get the hang of it pretty quickly. I think the way forwards is showing them how to use different corpora in Word Sketch with collocations switched on and playing around with the results coming from scores and frequencies. Perhaps the hits/occurrences in concordancing can show that kind of information as well but this feels more time-consuming. I think Word Sketch would be better and they can make a collocation chain from having completed this task or even a paragraph chain! Wow!