Liane Sandrey
Participant
      @liane

Hi @Anastasios- clearly this is very late in regards to the course pacing. As I have to spend a week in managed isolation/quarantine in New Zealand towards the end of November, I thought I would have time to devote to the course from the hotel. I digress…..

Three things I learnt

1. That you can direct learners to corpora tools without having to dedicate entire lessons to showing students how to use the tools. I love the way that you can include these ‘teachable moments’ into the lesson. My favorite way to teach.

2. I really liked the idea that you can use the tools at all stages of a lesson, both pre, post and even during.

3. That this could really help to develop student autonomy. :mail:

How will I use this?

I think the idea of providing useful examples of language for students pre-writing is intriguing. I teach an EAP class with  students studying pharmaceutical sciences. (I say with, as I’m learning science along with the students). I’m also starting to think about how to use corpora for students writing a final research project.

As well as teaching, I am currently developing EAP courses for students studying pharmaceutical sciences and I’m really trying to think about how to help my students by incorporating some of these new ideas into classes and materials. One of the main issues my students face is the volume of new vocabulary which doesn’t  share roots with their language,  so they are overwhelmed before even beginning to attend lectures. My interest is somehow trying to find ways to help them with this load through the use of Copora. And, that brings me to the part that I’m still not sure about- How can I best use these tools to help my students? Are there pharmacy based Corpora? I’m hoping to learn more about this as the course goes on.

I can feel ideas starting to bubble, and I’m looking forward to the next sessions of the course.