Ana Vucicevic
Participant
      @ana93

Hello everyone!

First of all, I have to say that I find this forum extremely useful, surpassing my expectations. I am learning a lot from your practice and different teaching contexts! @rmwebb I find your comments really insightful, it is nice to see that you are full of enthusiasm for work!

As for the questions: I am not a teacher, but I am currently trying to help one my colleagues to innovate her classes of general academic writing, so I am going to share this experience. Our multi-year project encompasses evaluation of certain elements of written language output of university students majoring in English. One of the problems that keeps repeating is with a trio happenoccurarise. Now, my colleague seems to be quite willing to try out some corpus tools, so I would suggest introducing WSD (some basic concepts), then working on the specific word pairs. That work would imply (just a suggestion, it doesn’t have to be limited to a single class):

1) organising the students into smaller groups; each group should discuss potential noun+ respective verb collocations and make some small intuition-based word charts;

2) checking their suggestions in WSD (basic search, subject column) and discussing the potential disagreements using the option of concordance to provide some examples;

3) introducing more subject plus verb collocations through collocation sort exercise (here they may partly rely on the impressions they got from the previous assignment);

4) checking the exercise in WSD (accompanied with some examples from concordance);

5)  doing some summary gap-filling in order for them to get to know some general tendencies;

6) asking them to pick several collocations they might find useful;

7) giving them an assignment to write a rather brief comment/paragraph on some topic in which they will meaningfully use some of the collocations they previously chose;

8) peer-checking this assignment (importance of feedback and peer learning).

I would cover only pairs of verbs (happen-arise, arise-occur and happen-occur).

I was also thinking about some backward learning from the visualisation tool (they would interpret and use the data directly from the visual) and about making some larger wordbanks they could use for their final exam (perhaps a suggestion of some tool for this @anastasios?) :scratch:

:bye: