Jane McKinney
Participant
    @erinaceus

Not sure if I missed the plan for this lesson (S2670004)

Stage/Timing

First Listening

Good points

A good choice of audio text.  Very interesting and engaging with an element of fun.

Suggestions

Work on a pre-listening task.  E.g. check understanding of word ‘disaster site’.  Ask how long they think the speakers will say it takes to clean the house.  This adds a bit of fun and students can compare their thoughts.

Stage/Timing

Second listening

Good points

A chance to hear the recording again with a transcript.

Suggestions

Before you give the transcript, see what words and vocabulary the students heard and understood during their first listening.  This will help their confidence when they realise what they managed to pick out during the first listening.

Stage/Timing

Vocabulary work

Good points

Well done for working on word forms – you asked if the word was a noun and if it could be a verb

Suggestions

You did a lot of the work here.  Work on eliciting more from the students.  This will help you to check their understanding of some words and give them confidence to share what they do know.  Then try to activate the language.  E.g. Ask them what things they can wipe, what different smells of air freshener they know.

Overall:

You’re making a good effort to develop a rapport with the students but I suggest you pause on occasion to encourage interaction.  Continue to work on instruction giving.  In some places there was a good attempt at checking understanding, build on these good examples.

Personal development:

When I was teaching, an observer made a good recommendation to me.  He suggested I looked at the concept of ‘wait time’.  I will find an article and you can see if this would be useful for your teaching practice.