Anastasios Asimakopoulos
Keymaster
    @anastasios

Hello @vera-t! I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed this unit and found it easy to apply what you learnt from the guides. Now, regarding your CQL. You are not wrong about the progressive tenses in the passive. The structure is/are + being + past participle occurs 577 times with a relative frequency of 69.22 times per million tokens, while is/are + past participle occurs 32,670 times with a relative frequency of 3,919.02 per million tokens in the BAWE corpus. So, by examining a corpus of authentic student writing, we can make informed decisions about what to prioritise.

Your CQL works great and I liked that you combined word, lemma, tag as well as three different symbols (! | &), so well done for trying something as advanced as this. Since you mentioned it doesn’t include the full present/past perfect forms, we can have a look at this. If you would like to include have/has/had in your CQL, you can do it by examining two tenses together as opposed to four. For example, you can search for Simple Present and Simple Past together, and Present Perfect/Past Perfect together. See links:

is/are/was/were + past participle (link)

has/have/had + been + past participle (link)

However, I am going to play devil’s advocate here and say that I would personally choose to teach simple present and present perfect together, and put simple past with past perfect. So, I would probably grab a sample from each and mix and match based on student needs/the syllabus. Anyway, thank you for sharing your CQL. Keep up the good work!