Anastasios Asimakopoulos
Keymaster
      @anastasios

Hi @ana93

I am assuming your first question is about the Keywords function. This function allows you to create a list of words (or phrases) that are typical of the corpus when compared to a different corpus and are determined using statistical measures such as the Simple Math Parameter (SMP) – see the formula here if you are interested in the maths behind it. So, focus corpus is the corpus we are examining while reference corpus is the corpus we are comparing it with. We aren’t covering it in the course because the free version of Sketch Engine doesn’t include many corpora for meaningful comparisons. However, one could compare a BAWE subcorpus (focus) with the entire BAWE (reference).

Regarding your second question about Frequency, I can give you a quick overview:

• lempos is a combination of lemma (lem) and part of speech (pos) e.g. take-V, good-J, system-N, etc. I rarely use them myself if I am honest; I’d rather have students figure out the part of speech from the context.
      • textpart allows you to specify which part of the text you want to see the word in e.g. abstract, headings, bibliography, running-text (the main text), etc. Please note that this feature depends on how a corpus was designed and created; not all corpora have this.
      • sem refers to semantic tags. BAWE has been semantically tagged using the UCREL Semantic Analysis System see http://ucrel.lancs.ac.uk/usas/ for more information You can basically search for certain topics (semantic fields) using CQL (Unit 6) if you are interested in looking at vocabulary semantically related e.g. [sem=”X2.1.*”] (thought/belief) – see concordance here. It’s a little advanced and given the short nature of the course, we focus on lexico-grammatical structures when teaching CQL. Obviously, the limitation is that this tagging is automatic and cannot differentiate between various meanings of words; that’s why qualitative analysis of concordance lines is necessary.

I hope this information helps a little.