Beth Melia-Leigh
    @beth

Hi Jane,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on remote teaching and, as an experienced online tutor, sharing some of your own insights. I think your points about keeping things simple and avoiding using tech just for the sake of it as well as ensuring teachers working remotely have appropriate support networks in place are particularly valid.

However, the article you refer to actually focused on remote teacher education (as opposed to teaching) and raised some important points I think. Firstly, there has been much less focus in the literature on the knowledge, skills and digital competences of teacher educators compared with teachers and students. Secondly, of the literature that is available, recurrent themes have been that working online is different (both in terms of educator roles and the skills needed) and that direct transfer of f2f strategies are unlikely to be effective online.

The author (Simon Borg) goes on to draw some conclusions about the required competences of remote teacher educators – definitely worth taking a look at in the article – before drawing on his findings from a BC-funded project that explored the experiences of in-service language teacher educators in less well-resourced contexts as they made the transition to remote teacher education in 2020. Again, I would highly recommend taking a look at these findings,  but, to summarise, the key competences required were found to be creating a positive online learning environment, motivating teachers to be active in online groups and helping teachers to improve their own digital competences.

The article concludes that more work is needed on particular areas of remote teacher education, so there may well be a research opportunity there if anyone is interested?

Best,

Beth.