Catherine Lewis
Participant
    @catherine21

I agree with Nick et al. that using technology when teaching on line means that the activities seem more focused and everything seems to take longer. This could be because we are closer to our students and we can listen in on breakout rooms ‘incognito’. When in a large classroom, it can be difficult to hear what students are saying. This means that we are more aware of the difficulties that some students may have processing information. When I think back to F2F teaching with no element of flipped learning, it was a bit like a ‘roller-coaster’ of activities for some students

I encourage students to set up their own Padlet when writing a say a 2,000 word essay. This allows them to work at their own pace and at the right time for them. I always show them an example to help them and explain how to login to Padlet, make a Padlet with a Padlet tutorial.  The title is their essay title (usually a discussion essay). Then they arrange the Padlet according to headings – counter arguments/evidence (links to journal articles and e-books)/weaknesses of the counter-argument/arguments/ evidence/Any other thoughts, questions,/video links, etc. Then they work on conclusion, background section and introduction. They can share the link with me or other students. When conducting tutorials, students can work together on their Padlets for some peer evaluation. Padlet is used as an ever evolving noticeboard both inside and outside the (virtual) classroom.

I’ve also used it to teach IELTS in terms of paraphrasing the task (IELTS writing Task 1). Depending on the size of the class, students can add ideas about paraphrasing techniques, and then practice paraphrasing the rubric with different sentences. They work in groups to do this.  They are assigned different sentences and then they discuss/peer correct what others have written. It is always best if they have planned this activity before class (flipped learning) and then they can compare their answers. Then I add my sentences (pitched at a 6.5/7) and we compare them. Sometimes their answers are better than mine.

I generally find that some students find Padlet easy to use and then they are willing to help other students who are not so able. Therefore, when setting tasks I put students into mixed ability groups to encourage collaborative teaching/learning.