Catherine Lewis
Participant
    @catherine21

Hello everyone

I tried the Ted Ed lesson ‘stress and the brain’ (not with students) which had already been prepared. I copied the lesson and I shared the link. However, I had problems viewing the results. With one person I could see the answers to the multiple choice questions (this person could not type her answers) and with the other person I could only see the answers to the discussion questions . The link I was given to review the answers didn’t work. I could find the results via the notification icon. I found out that the first person had signed in and the second person hadn’t. Although this practice run was not part of an actual lesson, it highlights the need to give clear step by step instructions. I think if I were to use this in the future with students, I would create my own lesson and make sure that I follow the steps more carefully. I would also make sure that all students are able to access the materials in a synchronous session after sharing the link.

In terms of the SAMR model, I think this type of activity seems to go beyond simple substitution. Students have easier access to a range of activities (multiple choice, discussion and various links to additional information linked to he topic). Using Ted Ed means that students have easy access to this information and they can access it anytime they want to and as many times as they want to. I think this lesson takes the student beyond just comprehension questions. The ‘dig deeper’ section is useful to provide students with additional informal linked to the topic which in an EAP setting could be journal articles. The discussion questions mean that students are encouraged to engage with the material in a more critical way. The teacher can also monitor a students ability to think critically which is really important in an EAP setting. The ‘And finally’ section would be a good way to link asynchronous activities with synchronous activities.  I think as long as this sort of activity is not over used, it would be worthwhile setting up a Ted Ed activity for students to complete as apart of a flipped lesson.