Chris Richards
Participant
    @chris-richards
    1. I already had a hunch, hence my partcipation on this course, but the article makes the point that using corpora in the classroom is easier than I perhaps imagined. I was both shocked and unsurprised, I’m aware of the contradiction (!) by facts about the lack of awareness of corpora (p34) and how little they might drive effective teaching. I hadn’t thought about how a lack of access to computers needn’t be a hindrance, and that the comparison with the single classroom dictionary (p36) was very useful.
    2. As I noted in my introduction on padlet, my interest in following this course was driven mostly by more advanced learners who use English in academic/business contexts and often in the written form. Thus, the “ideal world” suggestions that Frankenburg-Garcia summarises, for example tasks that involve finding the difference between near synonyms in the target language or how cognate vocabulary might be used differently, as well as looking for collocation (p35) are the kind of the thing that I would like to use in my classroom. In addition, the use of corpora to correct their own texts (p44) is also something I would specfiically like to teach some of my students.
    3. Other than learning the skills necessary to incorporate these approaches into my practice, I don’t think I’m left with any other questions after reading the article.