Paul Middlemas
Participant
    @paul-m

Hi all

I learned a lot form this article. I’ve never used corpus tools in class (or perhaps once or twice but some time ago) and only really had a still image of a list of concordances around a word in my head, so this made it all a little bit more colourful and approachable.

As @deefree mentioned, the concrete examples in the article were very useful.. Was interesting to learn how it could be used to help students with L1/L2 translations, e.g. flagging false friend translations. I also hadn’t really considered how it could be used to help with spotting grammatical patterns around specific words and associated it mainly with vocabulary (not sure why)… The idea of the parallel corpus was also new…

Aside for the specific examples, was interesting to read about corpora being used in production of language, not just to help with recognising patterns of use, which is perhaps what you (I) would usually associate it with. The idea that students can use corpora themselves in autonomous & not-so-complicated ways, such as with the parallel corpus, or to check specific phrases etc. was a new concept. Also, that teachers in the examples actively avoided explaining what a corpus is; I think the complexity of how it works (lists, websites etc.) can put you off using it as a tool, so this approach sounds wise!

Something to know more about would be to get a better grasp of practical use for using specific websites and to become more imaginative and creative in how corpus can be used…