Jamie Sullivan
Participant
    @jamie

Hi everyone,

How easy was it to set up the lesson?
    I chose to try VideoAnt as it is a tol I have not utilised before. I decided to use this video that I recommend to my EAP students from The Lecturette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h2lm6HLDqQ

It was straight forward and didn’t require too much set up time. I added my own annotations at:

0:47 – looking at why an interesting opening I so important. I added my own comments here and asked students to reflect on interesting presentations they have seen in the past with an interesting opening.

0:50 – regarding the ‘hook’ element of an effect presentation. Here I asked students to try to think of an effective hook for a topic relevant to their ‘major’ (subject of study).

3:48 – Here I asked students to think of some other ways to interest the audience apart from:

1)      An interesting story

2)      An interesting problem

3)      Some interesting facts or statistics

How did your students engage with the material?

I could only utilise this VideoAnt with one student as the remainder had already asked me to focus on looking at draft assignments thy were working on. I choose a relatively brief video as it was my first attempt to use this tool and I didn’t want to overwhelm the student due to the time constraints of our lesson and their request to look at some time management strategies later in our session as well. The student aid they found the video useful for their upcoming academic presentation and the annotations “made me really think about what makes presentations good”.

In terms of SAMR, do you think the lesson went beyond simple substitution? If so, how?

In terms of the SAMR model I think this lesson represents an example of augmentation as the video informing the viewer was modified to allow students complete further tasks. The reflection questions I added assist in engaging with the content critically. This is an important aspect of skill development for students in an EAP context. VideoAnt allows for flexibility regarding where to include annotations and interaction with content so in terms of the SAMR model I think the lesson went beyond simple substitution.

Jamie