Richard Davie
Participant
      @egq22rd
      1. Which of the six principles reviewed above do you find the most difficult to interpret? And why?
      2. Which ONE principle do you think might not work so well with 2nd language learners?

Like most of you, the principles themselves seem clear, and again like most of you, in 2nd lang. contexts the modality & redundancy ones are more problematic (at least if taken as iron laws rather than forms of guidance).

For redundancy, regardless of L1, for any substantial text I shut up and give reading time rather than talk over. (Of course, that still raises the Q of whether I should be displaying lengthy text on any given occasion.) The cognitive over-work addressed by the redundancy principle is also more acute for L2 learners who are trying to take notes in real time, as the labour of recording competes with the labour of understanding. But this course is focused on asynchronous content creation, where that is less of an issue.

On a related matter, as I think @ David raised, a lot depends on what is done with a ‘presentation’: how it’s viewed, how many times, etc. etc. Designing something for real-time uptake only is going to be different (I guess) from designing for something more under the learner’s own control.

By the way, sorry I appear as @ Egq22rd!: I missed a step in changing my institutional username to a regular handle for this course. At least no confusion likely with any other Richards.

[Strangely, in the in-unit view of this forum, both @ references default to @tinkerbell… so I’ve put in a space after the @ to prevent that.]