Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicholas Northall
          @nick-northall

After the reading the advice about studying for Delta Module 1, please let us know:

• 3 things you are looking forward to;
          • 2 things you are nervous about;
          • 1 question you still have.

After you have posted, please feel free to comment on others’ posts.

Gajinder Kaur
          Participant
              @gk

3 THINGS I LOOK FORWARD TO- Tutor Wisdom/ Peer Interaction & Exchange/ My Personal Growth

2 THINGS THAT MAKE ME NERVOUS- the EXAM! the STUDYING!

1 QUESTION- How Can I do Better?

Nicholas Northall
                    @nick-northall

Hi Gajinder,

Thanks for posting your ideas here.

Often course participants are nervous about the exam and studying – especially if they haven’t done the latter for a while! In terms of studying, our 301 Academic Skills Centre may be able to help there.

In terms of how you can do better, I’m not entirely sure what you mean here? Do you mean in terms of studying? Taking the exam? Teaching? If you mean taking the exam, we provide a lot of ideas, tips and suggestions over this course to prepare you for the exam – not only in terms of subject knowledge which is obviously key, but also in terms of approaching it.

Cheers,

Nick

Aytaj Suleymanova
                    Participant
                        @aytajs93

Tutor wisdom, that’s a good one!

Robert Dailey
                      Participant
                          @robertd

3 things I’m looking forward to: 1. Working with and learning from others. 2. Developing my knowledge about teaching grammar and pronunciation. 3. Learning more about lesson planning.

2 things I’m nervous about: 1. Time management, i.e. balancing teaching + prep + travel to classes + breaks from work and studying + course / exam success. 2. Materials: is it going to take a long time to look for and get the material I need to complete a task?

1 question you still have: What tips do you have about using the memory and recalling information?

Nicholas Northall
                                @nick-northall

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting. You seem to have posted two questions here! In terms of your first (taking a long time to look for materials), we’d recommend buying (or borrow) the key texts as we refer to these throughout the course. Once you are a registered as a student at UoS, you will have access to our online library where you are able to access resources. Throughout the course we also include links to further reading, some of which anyone can access.

I’m not an expert in these areas, but we have a dedicated study skills department, 301. Once you are a student, you can access a range of resources to support your studying. Some resources are available now. Click here to find out more. Tip: start with ‘everyday skills’ and choose ‘mind mapping’.

I hope this helps.

Nick

Nicholas Northall
                                    @nick-northall

Hi Robert,

I missed your point about getting the texts quickly – I hope you’ve managed to get them. If not, don’t worry, as you will be able to revisit tasks and units later in the coures.

Cheers,

Nick

Robert Dailey
                                    Participant
                                        @robertd

Hi Nick,

No problems so far with the texts – thanks anyway.

Robert

Iroda Saydazimova
                                      Participant
                                          @iroda

Well, 3 things I look forward to are synchronous sessions, collaboration and professional growth.

2 things that make me nervous are the DELTA Module One exam and the workload during the course.

I can’t think of any questions YET.

Nicholas Northall
                                                @nick-northall

Hi Iroda,

Thanks for posting. I’m glad you’re looking forward to the course:). And it is quite normal to be nervous about the exam. Do please click here for study tips.

And do let us know when you have a question.

Best wishes,

Nick

Erica
                                              Participant
                                                  @erica

3 things I’m looking forward:

• learning more about teaching lexis, pronunciation and ‘chaining tasks’
                                                  • improving my knowledge and use of terminology
                                                  • share ideas and experience

2 things I’m nervous about:

• time management
                                                  • workload

I haven’t got any questions at this point.

Nicholas Northall
                                                        @nick-northall

Hi Erica,

Thanks for posting and great to ‘meet’ you.

It’s great to hear that you are looking forward to developing your teaching (and learning). I’m not sure what you mean by chaining activities – could you be more explicit here?

A lot of candidates are nervous about the workload and managing their time. Go here, scroll down to ‘Everyday skills’ and then click on ‘Time Management’. This might help.

If you do have any questions, at a later date, please let us know.

Best wishes,

Nick

Erica
                                                        Participant
                                                            @erica

Hi Nick,

By “chaining activities” I mean how to scaffold the lesson or even better, why we select certain tasks. Celta taught me about controlled, semi-controlled and freer practice but sometimes I’m still unsure about how to clearly distinct them.

Nicholas Northall
                                                                @nick-northall

Right, I understand what you mean now. I’ve just never heard that phrases before. We will explore different tasks over the course why they are selected, what the rationale is behind their choice and how they combine with other tasks to support learning. I think there is a lot of overlap between controlled, semi-controlled and freer – essentially there is some kind of cline with very controlled tasks (e.g. a choice between two tenses in a gap fill) to very controlled (e.g. compose a piece of writing).  The less choice the learner has the more controlled a task is – so a gap fill with a choice between say two tenses is more controlled than a gap fill in which the learner has to supply the word from their own lexical resource. In terms of freer practice – I don’t think there is a completely ‘free’ task as even something like about your last holiday would force the learner to use past tenses and relevant vocab. I guess a completely free task would be to write something (anything!) but then this could force learners to use writing conventions…

Another way to think about the distinction is how easy would it be for you as a teacher to mark. A simple gap fill with one answer (e.g. What’s ___ capital of Italy?) would be much easier (and objective to mark) than a composition describing a graph (IELTS writing task 1).

Here’s a blog post which might help.

Cheers,

Nick

Peter Wilson
                                                              Participant
                                                                  @peterw

Hi all

I’m looking froward to learning new things, relfeclting on good practice and putting theory into practice in the classroom. I’m nervus about retainig all the new information and maaging to keep up with 12 hours a week of study on top of full time work. My question is how can we borrow books from the library?

Thanks

Nicholas Northall
                                                                        @nick-northall

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting.

It’s great to read that you are looking forward to learning new things and putting theory into practice – I hope the course doesn’t disappoint!

I’ve shared this link several times, but I think it’s worth doing again. There is a lot of advice under different headings to help support your study skills.

In terms of borrowing books, if you go to the landing page of this course, scroll down to ‘Useful information’ and click on ‘Accessing StarPlus’ you should get the answer you want :-) . Let me know if anything is unclear.

Cheers,
                                                                        Nick

Andrew Burke
                                                                      Participant
                                                                          @andrew

3 things you are looking forward to; finishing the course, passing the course, meeting new people
                                                                          2 things you are nervous about; not being able to remember terminology due to an aging brain, not understand things that are clear to every other student
                                                                          1 question you still have. No questions as yet

• #49331
                                                                            Nicholas Northall
                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                @nick-northall

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting.  I’m glad you’re looking forward to meeting new people and passing the exam; although I hope you aren’t finding the course that bad at the moment that you want it to be over! :-)

Yes, terminology can be tricky – that’s why we review it throughout the course. Although only two of the tasks in exam specifically refer to terminology knowing terminology is useful in completing every task.

Please do let us know when you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Nick

• #49338
                                                                              Aytaj Suleymanova
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                  @aytajs93

Hi everyone :)

3 things I  am looking forward to: completing challenging tasks, actively reading and making notes, live sessions and interactions with other trainees and tutors.

2 things I am nervous about: remembering all the terminology, having to use phonemic script

1 question I still have: Which way is the best for note taking, digital or handwritten?

• #49348
                                                                                    Nicholas Northall
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                        @nick-northall

Hi Aytaj,

Great to read your post. I think you will find the course (at least I hope so!) challenging and that you interact with the others on the course. Being nervous about terminology is quite common as is using the phonemic script. We look at terminology throughout the course and focus on phonemic script in the pronunciation unit. This is a useful book to brush up your knowledge.

In terms of how you make notes, this is entirely up to you. Whichever way works for you and whichever way helps you to retain knowledge. You may find this resource useful.

Cheers,

Nick

• #49355
                                                                                        Aytaj Suleymanova
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                            @aytajs93

Thanks for the recommendations!

• #49818
                                                                                          Vasiliki Zinonos
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                              @vasiliki

Hi all,

3 things I  am looking forward to: completing the course successfully, remembering terminology and staying sane after too much workload:)

2 things I am nervous about: phonetics & phonology and responding to questions within a specific time-frame without my brain blacking out

1 question I still have: No questions so far.

• #49836
                                                                                                Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                    @nick-northall

Hi Vasiliki,

Thanks for posting. I’m glad you’re looking forward to remaining sane -that’s something that is very important!!!

In terms of phonology, see my reply to Aytaj.

Do please share if you have any questions.

Looking forward to working with you.

Cheers,

Nick

• #49838
                                                                                                  Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                      @nick-northall

Dear All,

Thanks for your comments on this forum. It is great that you are already starting to engage with the content of the units – as well as getting to know something about each other.

So what three things are you looking forward to? From your answers it seems that:

Most of you are really looking forward to working with the other participants on this course especially regarding the live sessions! We do hope that working together (with each other and with us!) is one part of the course that you really engage with as you share ideas, best practice, what works and what doesn’t work. There is definitely a range of different backgrounds and experiences on this course – which is a really good thing! In fact it was good to meet last week and meet most of you:)

All of you mentioned wanting to expand and develop your existing knowledge including pronunciation, lexis and grammar. Over the course you will definitely expand and develop your understanding of learning and teaching, as there is quite a lot to take on. But, don’t let this put you off. From previous experience, we find that participants come to realise how much they actually already know and do in their own context.

Another area you are looking forward to is developing your own practice – i.e. giving more to your learners. Although this is mainly an exam course, you will find that almost everything we cover has very practical implications. In fact I would say that all of the exam tasks have very practical applications: e.g. from analysing a learners’ writing for strengths and weaknesses to using an authentic text to teach language items.

The final areas most of you mentioned is updated your knowledge of current trends and developments in our field. Throughout the course we ask you to read the four set texts as well as giving you a myriad of other useful texts (blogs, academic articles, news) to refer to. In the final unit of this course (20), we ask you to research a current area you are interested in and share your findings.

What are we most nervous about? It seems there are a few themes here which almost all of you commented on:

The first area mentioned is time management: i.e. juggling your work and family commitments with Delta study. I would try to be consistent here by studying little and often rather than leaving everything until the last minute. Obviously you will all have very different lives, so I would basically follow a work/life/study pattern that works for you.

The second area causing some nervousness regards the content of the course (well specifically, phonology!). There is a lot to study over the course, but you will definitely be surprised by how much you already know. A lot of the tasks in the exam require quite obvious answers which might surprise you;). In terms of the specific comments about phonology, this is an areas that, in my experience, almost all DM1 candidates worry about. So it is an area that – if you feel you lack in – you should spend more time on (consider getting a copy of this). However… although phonological awareness will be present in at least one question, the exam is not an exam about phonology! You can pass the exam without being an expert in phonemes!

Several of you are concerned about the exam – which at this point is understandable. Throughout the course we will give you exam practice ranging from tasks you do in your own time, to giving you full mocks to be completed under timed conditions. We also give you a lot of tips and tricks to help you succeed in June. My advice at this point, is to really enjoy the contents of the course and perhaps (at least until April) try to not worry too much about the exam – easier said than done!

I have tried to answer any questions you have individually.

If you haven’t yet posted in this forum, please feel free to do so. You can also comment on each other’s posts too.

Cheers,
                                                                                                      Nick

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                                                                  • The forum ‘DELTA Module One (Archived)’ is closed to new topics and replies.