Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Manuel Flores Lasarte
        @manuel

Motivation is very important for language learning. To know a little bit more about it, let’s start reflecting on this topic by completing the following sentences with two or three ideas per person. You do not need to refer to any other posts but keep coming back to the forum as I will add more discussion questions once most of you have posted your answers. We will use your posts to think of strategies to motivate our learners so make sure to add your initial ideas as soon as possible! 

1. I wanted to learn English (or another language) because…
        2. I don’t mind working hard when/if …
        3. I lose motivation when/if…. 

For example:

1. I wanted to learn English to be able to travel and speak with people from different countries.
        2. I don’t mind working hard if I have a clear purpose. 
        3. I lose motivation when the activity is too difficult or too easy for me.
        Jennifer Seeley
        Participant
          @jennifer-seeley

I wanted to learn English (or another language) because… I wanted to be able to order a meal and respond to questions with confidence
          I don’t mind working hard when/if … I am enjoying the subject and see I am making progress
          I lose motivation when/if….  I feel ridiculed for not knowing something, or am the worst in the group and people are progressing more quickly than me

YI-HSUAN SHIH
          Participant
            @ellashih

I wanted to learn French because I feel this language beautiful especially when you can say the whole sentence. 
            I don’t mind working hard when/if  I have a nice French teacher.
            I lose motivation when/if when I asked some questions, the teacher will just only answer me, ‘That’s how French work.” But I really don’t understand at all.

Emma Maerz
            Participant
              @emma

I wanted to learn German to be able to be independent in everyday life.
              I don’t mind working hard if I can use and apply and the language points and the subject matter is relevant to me.
              I lose motivation when teachers spend too much time explaining grammar.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                @manuel

Thank you for your contributions here. We’ll be using them during the week.

liuyizhi wang
                Participant
                  @charlotte-wang

I wanted to learn English because I want to pass the exam and teach at the University.
                  I don’t mind working hard when/if … If I can communicate fluently in a language.
                  I lose motivation when/if…. when I face many failures.

Hongjian Shao
                  Participant
                    @123

I want to learn English because I want to understand the culture and custom of many English countries.

I don’t mind working hard when I can receive timely feedback.

I lose motivation when the material is too difficult for me.

Angela Casado Castro
                    Participant
                      @angela

I wanted to learn English because I want to communicate with people perfectly. It does not matter where they come from if they know to speak English. It is one of the most important languages in the world and I need to get a high level of it to grow professionally.

I don’t mind working hard when/if … I feel happy with the results.

I lose motivation when/if….  the teacher focus on form all the time and I have to study only reading the book.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                        @manuel

Thank you very much for your contributions so far. This is a summary of what you have mentioned until now:

Reasons for learning a language

• Practical reasons (e.g. order in a restaurant, be independent in everyday life)
                        • Academic and professional reasons (e.g. pass an exam, get a job)
                        • Interest in the language or culture
                        • To communicate with people from different countries

Factors that can positively influence motivation:

• Sense of achievement (i.e. ‘I can do this!’)
                        • Material is relevant / I can see the application to real life
                        • Good rapport with teacher
                        • Guidance to continue improving (i.e. ‘timely feedback’)
                        • A pleasant experience (i.e. ‘enjoyment’)

Factors that can negatively influence motivation:

• Material is too difficult / lack of achievement
                        • Feeling behind everybody else
                        • Lack of clear explanations about how the language works
                        • Too theoretical: too much time spent on formal aspects of the language without enough practice (or real-life application)

Follow-up questions: 

• Can you add any other ideas to the lists above?
                        • Think about your experience as a student: how did your teachers motivate you to keep learning the language?
                        Anna Paoli
                        Participant
                          @anna

I wanted to learn English (or another language) because I found out it it fulfiled an inner need for knowledge
                          I don’t mind working hard when/if  provided I get ample feedback
                          I lose motivation when/if I don’t structure my work into tangible goals

Xinyi Chen
                          Participant
                            @kathychen

I want to learn English because teaching young children English is a very enjoyable process for me.

I don’t mind working hard if I can earn money by teaching English.

I lose motivation when my students say they don’t like my English class.

Jessie
                            Participant
                              @jessie730

1. I wanted to learn English (or another language) because…

I want to improve my English because I like exploring different cultures, I’d like to communicate with people with different views.
                              2. I don’t mind working hard when/if …

I don’t mind working hard when I could gain a sense of achievement.
                              3. I lose motivation when/if…

I lose motivation when  I found a course that didn’t suit me, such as its main goals and course design. At work, I would lose motivation if it’s easy for me to do.

Xingfang Wang
                              Participant
                                @nancy-wang

1. I want to learn English because I want myself to know more cultural background in English speaking context;

2. I don’t mind working hard when I find I can finish my goal step-by-step and feel full of confidence for my output results, like speaking more frequently or know more words to describe something vividly.

3. I lose motivation when I was always told my pronunciation or words using not perfect by my friends or teachers. I dislike being corrected when I really excited to try to express my ideas in a second language.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                                  @manuel

Thank you Anna, Xinyi, Jessie and Xingfang for adding your contributions. Very good points.

So to the list I made earlier we can add:

Reasons for learning a new language: in addition to interest in other cultures and professional reasons, we can add quest for new knowledge.

Factors that contribute to motivation: getting something as a result of the effort (e.g. money, good grades, ample feedback) + sense of achievement.

Factors that can negatively affect motivation: to the list from before we can add: no tangible goals, the course doesn’t meet the expectations, the activities are too easy, constant correction that interferes with real communication and lack of praise.

Thank you very much for your contributions. As you can see, by reflecting on your own experience, it is possible to consider the general factors that affect motivation and how we can increase motivation in our learners.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.