Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Manuel Flores Lasarte
        @manuel

You’ll need to have completed Lesson 3.6 to be able to complete this forum task. Write your thoughts on the following questions.

1. Were your initial ideas about teaching vocabulary different or similar to the lesson observed? How? 
        2. What did you like about the lesson observed?
        3. Is there anything you would do differently or anything you would add to the observed lesson?

Remember to respond to each other’s comments.

YI-HSUAN SHIH
        Participant
          @ellashih

1.Were your initial ideas about teaching vocabulary different or similar to the lesson observed? How?

It was slightly different than I originally imagined, I didn’t think teaching vocabulary can be so much fun, combine with games and life.

2.What did you like about the lesson observed?

I like the way the teacher combined teaching with games, it wouldn’t let student doesn’t want to answer the questions. And also let them ask questions, is a very good chance for them to improve their speaking.
          3. Is there anything you would do differently or anything you would add to the observed lesson?

Maybe I will give my students handout for this lesson, as they can know the vocabularies during the class and also they can bring it home to study

liuyizhi wang
          Participant
            @charlotte-wang

1. Were your initial ideas about teaching vocabulary different or similar to the lesson observed? How?
            My initial ideas about it are different because the traditional vocabulary course just teaches students the pronunciation, meaning, and how to use the words. And the course uses a lot of activities to enrich the class atmosphere and let students engaged in it.
            It’s a good way to teach students new vocabulary and all these words are about the movie. This video also shows that all students enjoy communicating with other students and this doll makes the class more active.
            If I teach vocabulary lessons, I may prepare some related pictures to show rather than just using oral explain those words.

Jessie
            Participant
              @jessie730

Quite different. In this video, there’re massive interactions when the teacher is teaching. I’ve used some methods combined with games but not as much as this.

I like the class atmosphere, it’s very lively and comfy. You can learn something through a couple of relaxing activities without boredom and anxiety.

I might give more examples when teaching some words.

Anna Paoli
              Participant
                @anna

Were your initial ideas about teaching vocabulary different or similar to the lesson observed? How?

I personally always pre-teach essential vocabulary the learners will be dealing with in the approaching lesson and this teacher  did a very good job eliciting the needed words.

What did you like about the lesson observed?

The teacher monitors effectively, providing help when needed;

I also appreciated the way he set up pair and group work as well as the way he engaged learners in asking questions and in making them come up with their own movie

Is there anything you would do differently or anything you would add to the observed lesson?

I may have included a board stage to recap and clarify pronunciation  issues related to the new words.

Emma Maerz
                Participant
                  @emma

1.   Were your initial ideas about teaching vocabulary different or similar to the lesson observed? How?

I thought this vocabulary lesson was great and similar to the way I would introduce lexis.   The scaffolding used in this lesson proved very successful.  The lead-in set the context and from then on the students’ interest was piqued and they got very involved.  Eliciting the words with this group of adults works well as it initiates their top-down processing.

2.  What did you like about the lesson observed?

More than anything, I liked the teacher’s use of humour and his rapport with the students.  Rounding the lesson off with a freer practice task helped the students puts the lexis to good use.

3.  Is there anything you would do differently or anything you would add to the observed lesson?

I would ask students to clarify the parts of speech and then spend time on pronunciation by backtracking model sentences and eliciting connected speech.  For homework,  I would ask the students to write the lexis down and give them a written task, such as writing a movie review for their favourite film.

Manuel Flores Lasarte
                    @manuel

Thanks a lot for your contributions. In addition to the notes on the lesson observation here, you make the following interesting points:

– As you can see from the video, a vocabulary lesson does not mean that the teacher presents the language and then students practise the new language in controlled practice exercises such as gap-fills. In fact, in a vocabulary lesson, the idea is to create the need to use the new language. This can be done with a nice lead-in which engages learners with a real communicative task (e.g. guess the film) and helps to set the context and elicit the new language.
                    – You all like how students interact with each other and focus on communication. Think about this when planning your own vocabulary lessons and prepare activities that encourage learners to communicate from the beginning of the lesson. Personalisation is a good way of motivating learners.
                    – You also make a good point about the importance of finishing the lesson with a free practice activity in which students can put the new language to good use. This free practice activity can be followed up with some written homework.

Other things that you mention and that the teacher could have included in his lesson:

– Provide learners with a handout with all key vocabulary: good for revision and to check while doing the activities in class.
                    – Think of a variety of ways of presenting new language (e.g. orally, through pictures, videos, etc.)
                    – Include a final stage to recap the new words from the lesson.
                    – More focus on pronunciation, including aspects of connected speech.

Excellent reflections everyone!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.