Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

How many of the principles in the article do you think were demonstrated by the video review activity? For example, I think it meets principle 9 (meeting material multiple times in different ways). We’ve certainly met the material in different format (reading/slides/live sessions) and this is now adding video to the mix. Which other ones do you think it meets?

Also, did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences?

David Lincoln
        Participant
          @david-l

It was organised into steps in order of the units. It was engaging and active. It built on prior knowledge. It was self regulated, as it could be done at one’s own pace and it was a low stress supportive activity. It could be reviewed and there were connections. There was also a human presence  and it allowed for mistakes which could be corrected. :bye:

I also wondered about how we established emotional links but I particluarly liked the low stress, supportive environment which did not lead to cogniitive over load particularly in an online setting.:good:

I want to also add that a reasuring, calm voice helps in the instructions.:good:

sue robbins
          Participant
            @suerobbins

1. How many of the principles in the chapter were exemplified by the video review activity:

• The video activity itself exemplified principles:

2/19 – helped us learn/remember new material better by incorporating comprehension questions rather than asking us to passively watch, and required us to produce answers rather than just recognise correct ones

3/24 – offered automated feedback on the questions

6 – used a human to help us learn/remember better

17 – gave us an opportunity for retrieval practice

• Within the context of the course so far the video exemplified principles:

7 – gave us an elaborative rehearsal opportunity to consolidate prior learning

9 – the video format offered another input mode – building on reading/slides/live sessions

14/15 – gave us an opportunity for spaced and interleaved practice

16 – indirectly, it gave me an opportunity to evaluate what I have learned/remembered so far

2. Did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences?

3 – finding ways to encourage students to access feedback can be tricky. Something we’ve been doing is requiring students to identify a piece of feedback they’ve received and show how they have acted on it in the current submission. Their responses can be a bit formulaic, but the hope is that this type of elaborative rehearsal opportunity will build understanding over time

13 – it can be difficult to establish emotional links with (e.g.) aspects of academic writing. What we’ve been doing is allowing students to select their own topic, and one that really matters to them, so that the emotional engagement comes through the content rather than through the features of academic writing

20/23 – it’s been good to have the opportunity to introduce my own ‘desirable difficulties’ (e.g. by accessing additional resources) and spending more time on learning H5P in a ‘trial and error’ kind of way

25 – I’ve printed out the readings so far (I like to annotate by hand), but am aware that many/most of my students do not have a printer and therefore read online. Also, I think there is a lack of agreement on this point within the literature which seems to conclude that students read differently on screen, but not necessarily better in print.

The Learning Scientists is a site that I’ve found useful (apologies if you’re already familiar with it)

Paula Villegas Verdu
            Participant
              @paula_villegas

Hi everyone! happy week 4 :yahoo:

let’s get cracking with my answers

• How many of the principles in the article do you think were demonstrated by the video review activity? (2) not just passive recipients – we have to do stuff while watching the video – ;  (6) human face & instructor enthusiasm; (7) ‘connecting the dots’ with previous/ current materials; (8) the questions come right after you have watched a short segment; (10) content is organised coherently; we review (14&15) at multiple intervalic times (14); (19) we had to produce answers; (24) feedback was immediate (although I didn’t make any mistakes, of course, B-) )
              • Did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences? I have recently read that the importance of emotions in learning may have been overestimated (5 & 13) this is a very interesting area in which some new (controversial?) claims are starting to appear. Also, I take @suerobbins point on annotating while reading being tricker on a screen but I use my tablet to scribble all over my articles, so I would imagine loads of students do so too. I feel quite relieved that there is evidence showing that reading OL  can be as effective as on paper. Apart from the advantages of reading OL mentioned in the article, I think it is loads more eco-friendly (and effective! I can annotate OL and quickly locate my notes and from different devices so go screens!).
              Thomas Leach
              Participant
                @thomasleach

I agree with with the previous comments really. It was an interesting activity, I like the way it was broken into manageable chunks and a reason was provided at each stage to engage me as a learner.

Julie Ibdali
                Participant
                  @julie

I also agree with all the previous comments related to the activity and the article.  The activity was easy to follow, there was no cognitive overload and the instructions were very clear, as well as the feedback.  I really like point 20 (desirable difficulties), I have believed in the this for a long time especially when asking ss to use English to English dictionaries for example, I just never knew it had a name as such!

Allison Dresner
                  Participant
                    @spottypoppy

Hi

I also agree with the previous comments  – ‘desirable difficulties’ reminds me of Krashen’s ‘comprehensible input’  too easy and not challenging and acquisition does not take place.

I was not surprised to read about how it is important to provide paper hard copies of readings to avoid distractions but difficult in the online only teaching environment

Bernadette Kelly
                    Participant
                      @berniek

I agree with the previous comments.  I think the video was a good example of principles 14 & 15  – ‘spaced’ and interleaved review.

I agree about the desirable difficulties but I think that too often in EAP poor materials design presents students with extremely undesirable difficulties.

And finally, I really worry about the dearth of printed text in our switch to online teaching this year.

Caitlin Coyle
                      Participant
                        @caitlin

1. How many of the principles in the article do you think were demonstrated by the video review activity? 

Yes, I agree with the others too. I saw 2, 6, 7, 9 and 19. There were probably more, but those are the ones I noted down

2. Also, did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences?

I thought there could be some potential tension between Principle 8: Cognitive Load Minimized (especially part g on the redundancy principle) and Principle 9: Multimodal Repetition. I think perhaps the example they give with follow-up activities may be ok, or perhaps repeating things in different ways in different lessons. It did when I read it, especially as the ideas were is such close proximity, make me stop and think whether there was any contradiction between the points.

Another interesting idea/principle was the testing one. I remembering attending a Cambridge English webinar about assessment where they asked ‘Can there be any learning without assessment?’. To which the expected answer was ‘no’, and at the time I agreed with this and still do to an extent. I remember getting regularly drilled with noun declensions and verb tables in Latin and there were loads of them, but I still remember most of them, more a decade on. Additionally, whilst I do think that this rote-learning method encouraged a lower level thinking skill (memorising), it also did later allow for me to apply the grammar rules not only in Latin, but also when learning Spanish and Catalan. Nevertheless more recently, I attended a webinar about creativity given by quite a well-known and respected ELTon winner, and in their final Mentimeter Q&A I asked if they thought learning was possible without assessment. Their answer was that learning happens everyday without assessment happening (at least this is how I interpreted their answer).

Ever since then I have been wondering about this, especially as I once wrote an essay about children learn their first language and a lot of it was about how children make generalisations and entrench certain structures. Something that was interesting though was that indirect negative feedback (positive examples from adults/older children) was much more useful than a child’s parent/guardian giving them direct negative feedback e.g. ‘I writed it’–> ‘No, I wrote it’. This in turn made me think of principles 20. Desirable Difficulties and 21. Challenges to Current Mental Models. Something I have been trying to do recently in my own practice is colour-code marking criteria and aspects of students’ essays to show how I am applying the marking criteria e.g. if academic style is highlighted in blue on the marking criteria, any examples where a student could have nominalised or used hedging language etc would be highlighted blue in their essay. Students could then hopefully identify what the error was without an explicit comment from the teacher. I am finding this also makes it easier for me to write summary comments after their essays as I can quickly see which colour is highlighted most on the text, check those examples again and write a specific comment. There is some EFL research to support the use of colour-coding assessments, which seem to demonstrate how this  more indirect feedback can be beneficial (Hamid, Nasri, & Ghazali, 2018). However,  the main drawbacks I see  are related to potential accessibility issues- perceptions of colour and if a print copy is needed/desirable, the cost involved of printing in colour. I am wanting to do research on this topic but I am awaiting ethical approval which hopefully will come some as I want to start it in a month :cry: I think a lot of the texts so far on this course though point to how colour can be a simple but effective tool so thank you!

Aline André
                        Participant
                          @aline

I also agree with the previous comments that this activity (and previous) has checked most of the principles in the article.
                          Principles 19-21 reflect some concerns that I raised in a previous post about activities on the Wordwall website that they may not support students’ engagement at a deep cognitive level.
                          I always remind myself of principles 9 & 14 that students, and myself, benefit from interacting with materials multiple times in different ways.

Rachel Beresford
                          Participant
                            @rachel-beresford

There were lots of examples of the principles being applied in this video activity. The one that stood out most for me was number 2, as the questions meant that we were engaged in the activity rather than passive recipients. Like others above, I also noticed examples of 6,7,8, 10 and 14 too.  I was  interested in the final principle, as while I try to read online more these days, I do find it difficult to focus and retain information to the extent that I do with printed texts. It was interesting to read the research that has taken place in this area, and also the ways in which this principle can be addressed when designing online courses, such as the use of certain fonts to increase readability.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.