Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
          @juliet

How many of the principles in the article do you think were demonstrated by the video review activity? For example, I think it meets principle 9 (meeting material multiple times in different ways). We’ve certainly met the material in different format (reading/slides/live sessions) and this is now adding video to the mix. Which other ones do you think it meets?

Also, did any other of the principles strike you as particularly noteworthy or surprising based on your experiences?

ann clayton
          Participant
              @ann-c

no.14. reviewing material over a period of time – the ideas had been covered in previous units, but the activity provided the opportunity to review learning

Linda Roth
              Participant
                  @tinkerbell

I would say quite a few of the principles were demonstrated in the video. In addition to the above; –

2 Engaging in an activity, rather than passive watching.  I liked doing this, even if I didn’t get all of the last task correct (ok, so I didn’t take notes, as I was supposed to!).

3, Practice & targeted feedback (+ 24,) Immediate feedback (I knew immediately afterwards whether my responses were right or not.

5. Low stress environment. I could do it as many times as I wanted and nobody would know if I got the answers right or not.

6. Human face / instructor enthusiasm (I think!)

8 Minimising cognitive load. The tasks were divided into chunks so I only had to concentrate on one aspect at at a time.

15. Recycling of earlier input with new content

17.  Qualities attracting student attention. Testing / testing myself

19.  Production and not just recognition (I had to come up the answer in the final gap fill)

24. Learning from mistakes

I expect I’ve missed a few out!

Akiko IWATA
                  Participant
                      @akiko

I agree with the most of the principles above. In addition to the above;

4. I though the video review helped me to re-organize the knowlege from unit 1 to unit 3 before entering unit 4.

10. Almost same reason as principle no.4.

22. Summary question requires “thinking process” and it was not a simple recall question (or because English is my second language, that’s why I have to think?)

Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                      Participant
                          @helen-sc

Yes, there were definitely a few that were exemplified in the video. I saw

2. engaging in an activity – definitely helps a learner (myself included!) to remember more

6. instructor enthusiasm for sure :-)

7. connecting new material with prior knowledge

8. cognitive load is minimized – not lots to look at or focus on. Not flashy or changing backgrounds. Just David and his voice !

9. receiving materials multiple times – we have reviewed the principles from unit 1 a few times now and it might be starting to stick in my memory!

10. organized structure – reviewing the units and info we have received in order

14. reviewing materials in stages – not all at once. We just focused on 2 principles from unit 1, for example

16. & 17.  self regulated learning – testing self and checking own answers as you go

18. remember more when know there is a test later – told earlier in video to make notes as you will be asked about the 2 principles mentioned …

23. & 24. can correct and learn from errors and receive immediate feedback – get the answers after completing the mini tasks and can try again if incorrect

And I thought idea 25 was very interesting but trying to convince our students to read a printed text instead of on a tablet isn’t easy!!!

David Read
                          Keymaster
                              @david

thanks @ann-c, @tinkerbell @akiko and @helen-sc for your responses to the article – which I think is a really useful one – and linking those principles to the video. I must say you make me sound very good by listing so many ;-) I was worried Linda that there was some doubt over ‘human face’ (I think indeed!) but I can confirm that I am human…

I think this is a really effective list for teaching in general, not just for digital delivery or online content, but there’s a lot of great little nuggets to take away.

Tania Pacheco
                              Participant
                                  @tania-pacheco

Hi, I have read the article in separate days, and today I finally managed to complete the last part. Do I remember it? Nope. Memory is just so fragile.

I do remember the video that I’ve watched last Monday and I liked the fact that I had the chance to review my notes and go back and reflect again. The video was clear and very useful to recall information from the previous units.

From my point of view, in languages everything is about repetition, practice and more practice. I always compare it with playing an instrument, the more you play it, the easier it gets. I wonder whether you guys speak another language, and do you remember how you learn it? B-)

For me, it was very difficult because I was the lazy student, what has helped me though, it was actually living in a place that forced me to do learnt it.

Otherwise, you do need to have discipline. Of course, and a good teacher and good resources are both essential, can we say that nowadays young people have access to information as fast as you can imagine? I did not grow up with that, I have to queue for requesting a book in a library.

The question is: how much advantage is this generation taking from it?

Meanwhile, I will try my best to create engaging lessons for the future generations. I’ll do my bit, hopefully they will do theirs. :-)

Amon Ezike
                                  Participant
                                      @amon246

The video was engaging and interactive.

It might be worth showing the summary  note before the talk, it didn’t seem to flow when the video stops automatically to show the summary notes.  Personally I didn’t realise the summary note was been shown that was why the video stopped, I just clicked play again, it was the second summary note that I realised it was intentional and that I was meant to read the summary note😉. Found the drag and drop option a bit problematic, one of them just would not go to the right place, had to do it last and it finally worked.

I agree with others ,the video covered the following principle

Principle 2.  Active learning– the video was interactive and had activities to engage the user

Principle 3. Targeted Feedback-  Feedback was given when task was completed, it gives you the opportunity to try again if not correct

Principle 4: The Validity and Organization of Prior Knowledge. The video provided summary of what we’ve learnt

Principle 5: A Safe, Welcoming Environment. low- stress supportive environment my home 😊. The human interaction was good, it makes the video real.

Principle 8: Cognitive Load Minimized- the video has been designed to minimise cognitive overload, not much going on and it was focused.

Principle 12: Varied Examples. The video provided examples such as when talking about coherence principle , just putting only information that students need

Principle 17: Testing Effect – The video tested knowledge

Principle 19: The Generation Effect – The video had free text material , which where I didn’t get all the answers right, you either have to go back and listen well and make note as advised.

Principle 23: Error Correction – The video gave opportunity to redo the questions

Principle 24: Prompt Feedback on Errors – Immediate feedback was given after taking the quiz which was good.

David Read
                                      Keymaster
                                          @david

thanks @amon246, you are right about the summary note needing to come a little earlier. It was a little difficult getting the timing right with it, but I can see how it is a little jarring and confusing

Tim Radnor
                                          Participant
                                              @timr

Definitely mentioned: 2 (interactive not passive learning), 4 (prior knowledge taken into account), 6 (importance of design), 10 (organisation of content)

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.