Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicholas Northall
        @nick-northall

Hi, and welcome to your Being a Teacher Trainer course. My name is Nick and I am looking forward to working with you on this course. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them below.

Jane McKinney
        Participant
          @erinaceus

Hello, I’m Jane

After quite a few years of living and teaching in Italy, I returned to the UK about 7 years ago, when I somewhat reluctantly fell into online teaching.  Although the screen time can get a bit much, I enjoy working this way now.  Over the years I have taught a wide range of students, from young learners to adults and all levels of language.  I’m mainly involved in preparing medical professionals for the OET exam and became a premium provider with OET earlier this year.  I try to take opportunities to do face to face work as I’m disappointed that no one has come up with a way to share chocolate with the students online :cry:so I like going into classes where I can do this.  In particular I try to teach on an EAP course over the summer.  I’m looking forward to doing this course to get more involved in teacher training, particularly for OET teachers. :yes:I’m sure it’s going to give me lots of useful ideas and insights to put into practice.

I’m looking forward to working with you all :bye:

ABDULLATIF ALSHATTI
            Participant
              @ashatti

Hello Jane,

You’re an EAP teacher ! Me too :-)

Jane McKinney
              Participant
                @erinaceus

Hi Latif

Yes that’s right, but just for a few weeks in the summer.  I find marking long essays online a bit of a strain on the eyesight! :yes:

Nice to meet you.

Jane

ABDULLATIF ALSHATTI
                Participant
                  @ashatti

That’s true, but online essay marking helped avoiding straining your eyes over students handwriting though  ;-)

Jane McKinney
                  Participant
                    @erinaceus

Ha ha, true, but I do like using my pink pen to  make corrections.  I’m used to doctor’s writing so I’m well trained ;-)

ABDULLATIF ALSHATTI
                    Participant
                      @ashatti

That’s true :yes:

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                      Participant
                        @noshin

But the auto correct  doesn’t really  help the student reflect on their error.  Sometimes red is good.

Beth Melia-Leigh
                          @beth

Where in Italy did you live/teach, Jane? I lived in Trento for about 3 years before moving back to the UK in 2007. Although not a typically ‘Italian’ experience, I still miss the lifestyle (and the food!) quite often.

Jane McKinney
                          Participant
                            @erinaceus

All over!  I couldn’t keep still and as you are probably aware, each region of Italy is quite different.  I spent six months in Riva del Garda, just down the road from Trento (it has a bit of a German influence, doesn’t it?).  I was also down in Siracusa for an academic year but other stopovers include Mantova and Arezzo.  I miss the country too.

Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                            Participant
                              @angharad

Hello Beth,

What do you enjoy the most about teacher training? Thanks!

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                @beth

Hi Angharad,

Thank you for your question (though, I must admit, it’s a tricky one!).

When working with inexperienced teachers, for example on a CELTA course, it’s really rewarding seeing them develop as the course progresses and putting their learning (e.g. from input or feedback) into practice in the classroom.

As far as in-service goes, I really enjoy getting the opportunity to work with teachers from a variety of backgrounds and with experience of different learning and teaching contexts and learning from them too.

Certainly not an exhaustive response to your question, but rather just a couple of examples of what I enjoy about the role.

Looking forward to working with you.

All the best,

Beth.

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                                Participant
                                  @noshin

Learning from trainees. Sometimes it is really interesting (and an eye opener) to know why they chose to do something or what the think about certain issues.

Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                  Participant
                                    @angharad

Hi Nick,

I’m interested to know what you most enjoy about teacher training? Thanks!

Nicholas Northall
                                      @nick-northall

Hi Angharad,

Thanks for your question – and welcome to the course!

Like Beth, I enjoy a lot about the role, but I think for me is the variety of the role. In some ways this is similar to teaching (i.e. different students, lessons, levels, material, aims, needs, etc), but for me teacher training includes an even greater variety – since we are both working with teachers and learners! I’ll echo Beth’s comments about seeing progress too – again this is very similar to working with language learners.

Cheers,

Nick

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                      @beth

I am very much looking forward to working with you all on this course. Please feel free to post a question for me here and I’ll do my best to answer :).

Jane McKinney
                                        Participant
                                          @erinaceus

Hi Beth

Well I’m sure I’m going to get lots of opportunities to ask you questions about the course so I’m going to ask what you like to do during a break from work during the day (hopefully you get one!)?  I like to take half an hour with a cup of coffee (and maybe a small chocolate bar) and just try and switch off.

Jane

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                            @beth

Hi Jane,

Good question!

I try to take a bit of time during the day for a coffee break like you, but, invaribly, when working from home I get distracted by housework!

So I find it’s better to get out for a walk or run just to clear my head and get some fresh air.

It’s definitely important to take screen breaks during the day when working online, whatever this may entail.

All the best,

Beth.

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                                            Participant
                                              @noshin

Hey Beth,

You have quiet a cultural experience under you belt. How much cultural impact can be seen on the teaching practices of teachers from different cultures?

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                @beth

Hi Nosheen,

Yes, I have worked in Spain, Poland, Italy, Thailand and the UK and worked with students and teachers from all over the world. I think there is definitely a cultural impact on teachers’ practices – we are all influenced (consciously or unconsciously) by our previous experience of learning and observing teaching as well as cultural norms, institutional constraints and, of course, our own teaching style.

What have you noticed in your experience as a teacher or a learner?

All the best,

Beth.

Gabriela Cazan
                                              Participant
                                                @gabi

Hello everybody! I’m Gabi.

I’ve been teaching for…ages:-), and now I’m interested in becoming a teacher trainer. I’ve been training some young and inexperienced teachers, but I’ve decided that it’s time I learnt more about teacher training and do it properly:-) Therefore, I’m really looking forward to doing this course:-)

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                    @beth

Hi Gabi,

Glad to hear you have lots of teaching experience – I think this will definitely help when making the transition from teacher to trainer and we’ll go into this in more detail in Unit 1. What context do you currently teach in?

I am sure the course will help with the work you’re doing with young and inexperienced teachers – well, I hope so anyway! – and I’m pleased you’re looking forward to it.

All the best,

Beth.

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                                                    Participant
                                                      @noshin

Hey Gabi,

We seem to be in the same boat.

Sharing, helping, advising, even mentoring are the terms I’d like to use- training seems such an overwhelming word :-)

Marcia Clarke
                                                      Participant
                                                        @marcia

Hi Gabi,

I think we are on a similar path of having lots of experience teaching and some experience in TT.  I too, have decided that since I am always involved in TT, I might as well train to do it the best way possible.

Looking forward to us all collaborating and making the best of this course.

Marcia

ABDULLATIF ALSHATTI
                                                      Participant
                                                        @ashatti

Hello everyone ! I’m Latif.

I’ve been teaching English for 9 years. I got my master’s in TESOL & Applied Linguistics from Manchester 3 years ago. I’ve worked as a teacher trainer during the pandemic & I think this course will add a lot to my experience.

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                            @beth

Hello Latif and welcome to the course!

What kind of teacher training work did you do during the pandemic? This must have been an interesting time to take on the role. I am guessing it was all online!

I hope you find the course useful.

All the best,

Beth.

ABDULLATIF ALSHATTI
                                                            Participant
                                                              @ashatti

Hello Bet,

Yes, it was an online teacher training on using online software (i.e. Nearpod and Quill) for online ESL classes.

Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                                              Participant
                                                                @angharad

I couldn’t agree more Nosheen!

NANEES ASGHAR
                                                              Participant
                                                                @nanees

Hi Eveyone,

I am Nanees, from Saudi Arabia.

I’ve been teaching for quite some years. I started off as an English literature university lecturer and ended up being an EFL/ESL instructor . Literature is still my first love but I’ve enjoyed the transition to an English language teacher too. I feel that it has given me perspective about teaching and learning which I now want to formalize by taking this course.

I am looking forward to a great experience with all of you ;-)

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                    @beth

Hi Nanees and welcome to the course! Looking forward to working with you over the next few weeks :-)

Aysha Ahmed
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @aysha_a

Hi Nanees,

We have something in common. My first job as an English teacher was in the GCC region (UAE).

Glad to know we have something in common. :)

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      @noshin

Hi,

Been in the field, teaching and learning for nearly two decades. However, it is only now that I feel I am ready and focused enough to share my experiences and strategies in this field with others. I believe this course would provide the tools to do so.

looking forward to doing this course   :-)

NANEES ASGHAR
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          @nanees

Hi Nosheen,

Two decades is a long time, must be some experience! So, where have you been teaching? :-)

• #30909
                                                                          Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                            @beth

Hi Nosheen and welcome to BaTT! I agree with Nanees that I would like to hear more about your experience over the years. Glad to hear you are looking forward to the course and I agree with you about the connotations of ‘training’ :good: Despite the name of this course, we really do see it as being suitable for anyone who works with other teachers.

• #31713
                                                                            NANEES ASGHAR
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @nanees

Hi Aysha,

Nice to hear that we share the same professional experience. Working in the Middle East is an education in itself, isn’t it?

• #30895
                                                                            NANEES ASGHAR
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              @nanees

Hi Nick,

Was really enjoying this forum , seems we all have a lot in common, from coffee to Italy!

What about you, coffee break or tea time?

• #31419
                                                                                Nicholas Northall
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                  @nick-northall

Hi Nanees,

I really like your question – in fact I am getting thirsty now! I much prefer coffee (generally black, strong and filtered) to tea – I don’t think I have drunk a typical ‘English’ cup of tea for some time now!

What about you?

Cheers,

Nick

• #31346
                                                                                Fardin KARAMI QEBCHAQ
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  @fardin-turk

Hi, I’m Fardin and I am studing ELT in Anatolian Uni, Turkey. I have been teaching English since 2015 for different age groups.
                                                                                  I dicided to become a teacher trainer last year but couldn’t find a useful course till I found here.

• #31364
                                                                                    Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                      @beth

Hi Fardin,

Nice to hear from you and welcome on board. I’m glad you managed to find the course and I hope you will find it useful in helping you to develop as a teacher trainer.

I look forward to working with you.

All the best,

Beth.

• #31711
                                                                                      NANEES ASGHAR
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @nanees

Hi Nick,

I’m a coffee person too, and yes black and strong but instant, filtered and brewed are a luxury I can only manage on my days off.

I quite like a French press brewed one though.

Nanees.

• #31349
                                                                                      Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        @angharad

Hello everyone! Nice to virtually ‘meet’ you all.

I’ve been teaching for around 5 years – after I decided to have a career change (I worked in publishing previously.) My USP is probably that I must be the only EFL teacher who has never worked abroad (something I’m sad about and hope to change in the future) – I’ve worked in London and Sheffield only. I’m taking this course as I’ve always thought I’d enjoy working with less experienced teachers to hopefully share some of the passion that I have about the job that I do.

The only previous TT experience I’ve had was when I was coordinating the evening classes in my previous job and as part of that I was mentoring and offering support, observations etc to those teachers. It was a part of the job that I really enjoyed.

I look forward to learning with you all in the coming weeks.

• #31644
                                                                                        Aysha Ahmed
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          @aysha_a

Hi everyone,

A bit late. However it’s been wonderful reading up the posts.

I’ve been teaching for over 10 years. I initially started as an English Teacher after completing my CELTA, gradually became a lead teacher, where I also had to train and observe teachers delivering English. Currently I am working as a Foundation Studies Lecturer and EAP Sessional Tutor at Kings College, London.

I believe this course is designed for teacher trainers wanting to learn techniques and increase their knowledge in the field of delivering training sessions to teachers.

I have joined this course to develop some of the training skills to help me become a better trainer.

I look forward to working with everyone. :)

Aysha

• #31691
                                                                                            Jane McKinney
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              @erinaceus

Nice to meet you Aysha

I have worked on a pre-sessional at Kings College so I sort of have something in common with you.  I loved being in those buildings!

Jane

• #31692
                                                                                              Aysha Ahmed
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                @aysha_a

Hi Jane,

Glad to meet you. Kings is everywhere! :)

Looking forward to working with you. One of the reasons for working at Kings was those buildings haha…

Aysha

• #32094
                                                                                                Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                  @nick-northall

Hi Aysha,

Thanks for sharing something about yourself and you’re certainly not late:).

It sounds like you’ve been involved in teacher training and development for some time. We certainly hope the course will give you some suggestions and ideas for delivering workshops (or input sessions!) to the teachers you work with.  And we certainly hope that you are able to develop your training skills by working through this course.

Cheers,

Nick

• #32009
                                                                                                Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                  @beth

Dear All,

Thanks to those of you who have contributed to this forum task and apologies for the slight delay in summarising your contributions (I have been on annual leave since Friday).

It has been great to learn more about your experiences, motivations for taking the course and expectations.

It looks like there are lots of similarities within the group from Italy, London and coffee to experience of teaching in a variety of contexts and hoping to learn from and support each other over the coming weeks and months.

It seems that many of you already have some experience of working with other teachers – be this in a mentoring role, observing or supporting less experienced teachers or delivering workshops – and I am sure you will be able to draw on this as the course progresses.

I’m pleased to see that you are all looking forward to getting started and I hope you find the course helps you to develop both your knowledge and your practice of teacher training.

I am sure as the course progresses, you will find that you have lots more in common (as well as lots of differences too!).

If you haven’t yet contributed to this task, or read and commented on each other’s posts yet, please feel free to do so.

All the best,

Beth.

• #32086
                                                                                                  Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    @angharad

Hello again everyone,

As requested here’s a link to a video I made with Loom about things I’m looking forward to on the course and things I’m nervous about also.

Thanks and speak to you all virtually soon.

• #32087
                                                                                                      Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                                        @nick-northall

Hi Angharad,

This is a brilliant video! Thanks for sharing:)

I do hope that you get a lot from this course and it gives you the confidence to run teacher training sessions. Perhaps you could run a session on how to use Loom;).#

Cheers,

Nick

• #33147
                                                                                                        Marusya Price
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          @marusya

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, @angharad. I’ve planned to record my video tomorrow as I started this course last night :) I can definitely say that I hope this course will boost my confidence as a teacher trainer, too. I really look forward to learning from our tutors and the other participants.

• #33148
                                                                                                          Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            @angharad

Haha yes – good idea! Though I think I could do with a little more practice first…

• #32099
                                                                                                            Jane McKinney
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              @erinaceus

Thanks Angharad

I think we both feel the same way about videos, I won’t tell you how many attempts I made at mine on Padlet!  I’m also concerned about the challenges of linking in with others as I tend to be available at the start of the week and then it’s not so easy later on.  I’m sure things will work out – the joys of asynchronous working.

I look forward to working with you and hearing/sharing more ideas.

Jane

• #32134
                                                                                                            Marcia Clarke
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              @marcia

Hi everyone,

I’m late to joining this exciting and inspiring forum, but I am just so happy to be on board to do the BaTT course with all of you.

I have been teaching for quite a bit and in a few countries. This includes Jamaica, USA, UAE and now China, which is remotely until travel permit is received.

I joined this course to get professional training, so that I can become more confident with my involvement in teacher training.

Looking forward to working with you all. Now, I am off to get caught up with what I have missed. :bye:

• #32137
                                                                                                                Jane McKinney
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  @erinaceus

Welcome on board Marcia.

I’ve already picked up a lot of things to think about.  Make sure you share any coffee habits with us.

Jane

• #32670
                                                                                                                  Marcia Clarke
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                    @marcia

Thanks Jane .

Yes, I love trying different blends of coffee. One of the perks of living in the UAE was having access to best of the world, all in one spot. Now, I am on to my Blue Mountain Peak goodness in Jamaica. :)

Marcia

• #32393
                                                                                                                    Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                                                      @nick-northall

Hi Marcia,

Great to hear from you:).  And great to hear that you are finding this forum exciting and inspiring. We really hope that you enjoy the contents of the course and that it gives you the confidence to work with teachers in China – hopefully in person!

Cheers,

Nick

• #32671
                                                                                                                      Marcia Clarke
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @marcia

Thank you Nick.

I am indeed looking forward to enjoying the contents of this course. This is definitely the right place to get the skills and support that I need.

Marcia

• #32695
                                                                                                                      Lawrence Easterbrook
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        @lozfinch

Hi everyone,

sorry I’m so late to this but have just started a new term of teaching in the last few weeks. I have worked as an EFL teacher for 10 years now and like Aysha and Jane have been teaching EAP and on pre-sessionals for a few years now. I’ve taught in the France and Germany and have been teaching now in the UK the last 6 years.

Outside of teaching, I enjoy rock-climbing, tennis, and working part-time in antiques. Glad to be embarking on this course and working with you all as my new role does involve being more active in leading teacher training.

All the best,

Lawrence

• #32991
                                                                                                                          Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                                                                          Moderator
                                                                                                                            @beth

Welcome to the course, Lawrence. Hope you enjoy it and that it helps with your new role.

• #33145
                                                                                                                          Marusya Price
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            @marusya

Hi everyone.

My name is Marusya Price. I am originally from Bulgaria but I live in Kent, the beautiful Garden of England. I’ve been an English teacher for 22 years and absolutely love my job. A few years ago I suffered from depression and mindfulness helped me find my inner peace and light. This led me to qualifying as a Mindfulness Life coach and taking mindfulness courses for educators. I have been creating and using mindfulness tools with my students for over three years now. In March I released my book “101 activities to teach English mindfully.” I have to say that seeing the benefits my students reap has been truly inspiring.

I feel really passionate about bringing mindfulness into modern language teaching. I have already run workshops at educational conferences and have done some training with ESL teachers. I intend to create courses for ESL/EFL teachers who are willing to implement mindfulness in their lessons.

Frankly speaking, I think that my challenge could be facing those teachers who work in state schools and feel they need special permission to include mindful techniques in their classes. Having said that, I firmly believe mindfulness should be part of any school subject as well as teachers’ self-care toolbox.

• #33301
                                                                                                                              Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                                                                @beth

Hi Marusya,

Welcome to the course and thanks for your introduction and sharing a little about yourself, your context and your passion. I think your goal of bringing more mindfulness into language teaching is timely and much-needed. I really hope that you will find this course useful in helping you to continue to expand what you have already achieved in this area. Congratulations on the book btw – it looks great!

All the best,

Beth.

• #33462
                                                                                                                                Marusya Price
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  @marusya

Thank you very much, Beth. I love the course so far.. and this is only my first unit. :)

• #33247
                                                                                                                                Marusya Price
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  @marusya

Hi everyone, here’s a link to my video: https://youtu.be/Z960VxJTiq0

• #33305
                                                                                                                                  Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                                    @beth

I’m afraid I can’t access your video, Marusya (it is private). Are you able to change the settings?

• #33466
                                                                                                                                      Marusya Price
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        @marusya

Hi Beth, thank you for letting me know. Yes, it was private. I’ve changed the settings and updated the link in my post. I believe you will be able to access it now.

• #33892
                                                                                                                                      Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                                                                        @nick-northall

Hi Marusya,

Thanks for changing the settings of your video: I have managed to watch it.

It’s great to hear that you are looking forward to working on this course and that you’re hoping to get a lot out of it. In terms of assignments, there are no official assignments over the course; however, we do ask that you engage with the forum tasks (as you clearly are doing) and any group tasks we ask you to complete: some of these tasks (forum and group) involve creating or sharing material – although some such tasks are optional.

I also hope that we are able to answer your question about creating training sessions.

Cheers,

Nick

• #34285
                                                                                                                                          Marusya Price
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            @marusya

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your reply. I’m glad the video is working now.

Kind regards,

Marusya

• #33999
                                                                                                                                          Aurelia Cristiana Serban
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            @cris

Hi, everyone! I am Cris. A bit late into BaTT, but I’ve been really ill (getting better by the day, though). I have been teaching English for almost 20 years.  My journeys have brought my family and I to UK 3 years ago, when I started MA Education with Univ. of Leeds. I am very proud of finishing my MA with Distinction-it was no easy feat as I was working full time all throughout.   I’ve worked with  ELTC- Univ. of Sheffield for 2.5 yrs – I teach EAP and also starting a very exciting ADoS role. I am Romanian. I look forward to collaborating  with the other course participants and to picking the brains :) of everyone involved (that includes you, Beth and Nick!).  I hope this course will enrich my expertise and will represent a first step towards training peers – a path I have very often been recommended by many of my academic supervisors, trainers and colleagues.  I am now toying with the idea of a PhD in Linguistics- we’ll see what the future holds!

• #34004
                                                                                                                                              Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                                                                                @nick-northall

Hi Cris,

I’m really glad to hear that you are getting better and are now able to join the course:). It’s great to know that colleagues and managers have suggested that you get in training – so we hope this course gives you the skills and confidence to do this:).

Cheers,

Nick

• #34582
                                                                                                                                              Jane McKinney
                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                @erinaceus

Hello Nick

Apologies if this has already been covered but being an online teacher, I’m always curious about platforms and online tools.  Is the Training Foundry a Sheffield design or is it based on a particular platform? I like the ease of use and the variety of activities available on it.

Thanks,Jane

• #34613
                                                                                                                                                  Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                                                    @nick-northall

Hi Jane,

The website we are using is hosted by Word Press; the activities have been created using articulate. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick

• #34614
                                                                                                                                                  Nicholas Northall
                                                                                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                                                                                    @nick-northall

Hi Jane,

The website we are using is hosted by Word Press; the activities have been created using articulate. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Nick

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.