Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Beth Melia-Leigh
        @beth

In this exercise we want you to plan a timetable of a teacher training course. 

First think about: the type of course you are working on; who are the course participants; is it online; is it accredited. (There is more information about different types of courses in the Orientation Unit.)

This Google Doc contains course outline and timetable proformas. You can download your own copy to use by selecting Download in the File menu.

Share your timetables in this forum for this unit. Remember to state:

• the type of course;
        • who the participants are;
        • whether it is in-person (face-to-face), online or blended;
        • whether it is accredited.
        Marusya Price
        Participant
          @marusya

Hi everyone, here’s an outline of the course I am working on at the moment:

COURSE: Mindfulness in Modern Language Teaching

the type of course: free, introductory, self-paced
          who the participants are- ESL/EFL teachers

Unit 1: Introduction/ Course overview/Aims

Who am I? Why have I decided to implement mindfulness techniques in my lessons?

Self-Reflection task

Unit 2: Mental health in modern schools

Statistics

14 signs your students need a regular mindful practice

Self-Reflection task

Unit 3: Mindfulness

What is mindfulness?

Benefits

Self-Reflection task

Unit 4: Mindful breathing

Benefits

Demonstration of different mindful breathing techniques

Practice

Self-Reflection task

Unit 5: Wake up the senses

Benefits

Demonstration of mindful techniques which involve the senses

Self-Reflection task

Unit 6: Visualisations

Benefits

Demonstration of a visualisation-based lesson plan

Creating a visualisation-based lesson plan

Self-Reflection task

Unit 7: Other mindful activities

Mindful reading- benefits and demonstration

Creative activities- benefits and demonstration

Positive resources- benefits and demonstration

Self-Reflection task

Unit 8: How is mindfulness changing my students?

Sharing stories from my teaching practice

Self-Reflection task

Nicholas Northall
              @nick-northall

Hi Marusya,

Thanks for sharing this with us. It great that you have shared a course which you are planning to deliver. When are you planning to deliver it?

I like the fact that you have included a lot of refection within your course giving your participants chance to think about their learning. You have also included input (i.e. information, ideas and suggests) as some of your participants might not know too much about this area.

I guess on a course such as this, your participants will have a range of backgrounds, needs, motivations and of course experience of mindfulness, so it’s a good idea to include opportunities to share these as well as learning from each other.

Cheers,

Nick

Marusya Price
              Participant
                @marusya

Hi Nick,

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. They’re really helpful.

I am planning to record the course in the next couple of weeks. It’ll be a self-paced free course which initially I will offer through my website. Time will show what will happen next. I intend to follow it up with a detailed paid course whcih will focus on the mindfulness tools that ESL/EFL/English teachers can use with their students.

Cherrs,

Marusya

Angharad Vernon-Hunt
              Participant
                @angharad

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a first attempt at a timetable for a 4 week intensive face to face CELTA course which I hope you can see at the following link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TMas7PoimuarSrzqq-gL17SWWBvUZADhgGYDSfgX_Kk/edit?usp=sharing

I will no doubt think of things I’ve overlooked or illogical organisation but hopefully it’ll give an overview of how I think the course could (dare I say ‘should’?!) look. Have a good weekend everyone.

Nicholas Northall
                    @nick-northall

Hi Angharad,

Thanks for sharing this with us. You have clearly taken on board a lot of what we have discussed in this unit. I like the fact that you have included a lot of breaks in your timetable! Essential!

I think your timetable begins with a lot of useful and relevant input – something that new teachers need before they start teaching. Your trainees also get to observe before they teach – an essential part of a pre-service teaching course. You have structured your course, so there is input on aspects of teaching (e.g. on listening) before the trainees are expected to teach that. Remember on a CELTA course, you will have 2 or 3 lessons back-to-back in which each trainee would teach something different: i.e. you wouldn’t have 3 listening lessons in a row! This could be incredibly boring for our learners!

A couple of things to think about:

• Which week of the CELTA is this? Week 1?
                    • Be careful of asking trainees to hand in assignments on the first day, unless these had been previously set before the face-to-face part of the course.

Overall this is a great overview of the first week of a CELTA course.

Cheers,

Nick

Gabriela Cazan
                  Participant
                    @gabi

Hi everyone,

I’ve created a training programme for newbie teachers at our language centre. It’s a 6-week face-to-face training. The problem is that they also have classes, so I had to think of days and times when they could be available. It’s been quite challenging to create it, and I have no idea if it’s ok:-)

You can find it in the attached Word doc.

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Nicholas Northall
                        @nick-northall

Hi Gabriela,

Thanks for sharing this timetable for new teachers are at your school. I completely agree that creating a new timetable can be quite challenging! Obviously, once we have run a course before we can simply (if appropriate) tweek it.

I really like the fact that you have given your teachers a lot of support before they actually teach: e.g. before teaching reading, they have input on reading, observations and lesson planning support. I think this is essential to help build our teachers’ confidence. I think you have also considered the teaching context (i.e. having a session on the types of learners) which is essential for your teachers to know more about the learners they will be teaching.

A couple of things to think about.

I know you mentioned the availability of your teachers, but be careful of having two-hour input sessions. These can be quite draining for both teachers and trainers!!!
                        Be careful of having all your teachers teach the same type of lesson at the same time. Unless they are working with different groups of learners, having two reading lessons back-to-back might not be appropriate for the learners.
                        Your course is quite skills heavy, consider also having some focus on systems too.

How many teachers are on your courses? Are they teaching the same group of learners? Teaching Practice is covered in Unit 4, so no need to answer at this point.

Cheers,

Nick

NANEES ASGHAR
                        Participant
                          @nanees

Hi Gabi,

I love the support that you have offered teachers throughout the course. One look at the timetable and it becomes obvious how much of this course is created from the point of view of the trainees :rose:

NANEES ASGHAR
                        Participant
                          @nanees

Hi everyone,

Here is my first attempt at creating a course, usually courses are simply handed down to us for execution. This course is a short one week course for in-house newbie mentors.

I would love to have your feedback on it. :yes:

Attachments:
                            Nicholas Northall
                              @nick-northall

Hi Nanees,

Thanks for sharing your mentoring course for new mentors. It is a good idea to have a course such as this for teachers wanting to get into mentoring. I guess the audience are teachers who although experienced teachers, are new to mentioning, and so in this case, are inexperienced!

I think it is a good idea to include of input (i.e. what is a mentor, what is the purpose of the programme) at the beginning to set the context and the background. I also think it is a good idea to include a range of input (covered in more detail in Unit 3) such as case studies, videos, templates and quizzes. You have also reflection and feedback on various tasks. The inclusion of mentor support (i.e. each mentor has a mentor!) is a good idea. Finally, I like the inclusion of action plans – this is really important to give the course participants some form of motivation to put the course into action!

A couple of things to think about:

• Is a six day week common where you work? If so, then do this, if not, be aware that teachers may not want to give up one day of their weekend – unless they are remunerated for it!
                              • I wonder if more practical tasks (such as including some form of dummy mentoring in which a participant works with a ‘mentee’ during the course and offers them support) might work?

Cheers,

Nick

NANEES ASGHAR
                              Participant
                                @nanees

Hi Nick,

Thanks for such a detailed and prompt response.

Yes, a six day week course is quite a norm for the teachers I work with, so no worries there. And I think its a wonderful idea to include some dummy mentees for role-play. I had case studies for this, but I totally agree that having dummy mentees would spice up the course and make it more real. A great tip!

Thanks once again,

Nanees.

John Rustage
                              Participant
                                @johnrustage

Hi everyone,

I hope this attempt to upload my timetable is more successful

It is an introductory course for trainees with either mainstream teaching experience or related experience and transferrable skills. It attempts to cover the basics of language analysis, lesson planning, grammar / language skills teaching.

Attachments:
                                  Nicholas Northall
                                    @nick-northall

Hi John,

Unfortunately, I cannot access the course you have shared. Can you upload the PDF?

Cheers,

Nick

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                      @beth

Hi John,

Thanks for re-uploading your timetable – we can access it now. Please find some feedback and comments on your proposed course below.

I’m pleased to see that you included a candidate agreement – as we’ve seen in this unit, this can be a good way to manage expectations from the outset. You also include opportunities for mid-course reflection and end-of course feedback, both of which are really useful (more on this in Unit 8).

I like how you begin the course by providing opportunities for course participants’ to reflect on their own experience of learning. As you mention that the target market for the course may include candidates with some mainstream teaching experience and/or related experience, I wonder if it would also be useful to ask them to draw on this? Indeed, I would suggest asking trainees to reflect on their beliefs about learning and teaching at the beginning of any course – perhaps coming back to these at the end to see whether there has been any shift.

You include input on the main areas you want the course to cover (planning, LA, teaching skills), but remember to think about sequencing here. On day 1, you ask trainees to choose a skill and teach it to their group, but they have not had any input on how to do this at this point, so, for pre-service teachers, this may not be achievable. Had the course been aimed at practising teachers, on the other hand, I believe this would be a valid starting point as a means of enabling teachers to compare the approaches, procedures and techniques employed and allowing the trainer to gauge where they are currently at (almost like a TTT approach).

I like how you have included opportunities for observation (both of the trainer and each other), peer teaching, reflection and peer feedback and I believe that this chance to put learning into practice on a pre-service course is invaluable. Just one thing to consider: what about including teaching language (e.g. grammar and/or vocabulary) as well as skills?

Thanks for sharing, John.

All the best,

Beth.

Nicholas Northall
                                      @nick-northall

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for contributing to this task. This is quite a challenging task, so it’s great that you are engaging with and posting your timetables here.

The first thing to think about is who is the course for. This is essential when we are planning our courses. Once we have this information (perhaps by carrying out some form of needs analysis – see the earlier topics on this), we can then start to plan the outline of our course.

I have responded individually to everyone who has posted, but here is a summary of the main points:

• Our courses contain a range of different activity types including practice tasks, reflection, input and practice.
                                      • It is a good idea to remember the context in which we are working.
                                      • When we are working with teachers with a multitude of different backgrounds, we can ask them to share their experiences with each other: i.e., sharing good practice.
                                      • The structure of courses tends to build on previous learning – i.e. we start with some form of introduction and then build upon this.
                                      • Ensure you structure your timetables to avoid burnout – that is, including break times and time to reflect.
                                      • Ensuring that we include a range of different workshops such as tutor-led ones as well as more trainee-led (including having no tutor around!) ones.
                                      • Ensuring we bear-in-mind logistical issues such as when our trainees are free, when learners are available, etc.
                                      • A range of different input (more in Unit 3) helps to add variety to our courses.
                                      • It is essential to help build confidence in our teachers – especially if they haven’t taught before!
                                      • Most of you have given information about the courses, but also remember to include the format (in-person or online; synchronous or asynchronous).

So as you can see, designing a course is not always easy to do. Indeed, it might be impossible to design a perfect course, but as long as we are going some way to addressing and meeting our trainees’ diverse needs and motivations (including instrumental reasons for doing the course, such as gaining a certificate), we shouldn’t go too wrong!

Please do continue to post and remember to comment on each other’s work.

Cheers,
                                      Nick

Jane McKinney
                                      Participant
                                        @erinaceus

Apologies for the late uploading of this (a couple of unexpected events disrupted last week’s routine!).

This is a rough outline of an OET taster course.  I have put a couple of examples of different ways I’d teach it but I think the creativity will come out more when I’m really cracking on with it and drawing on materials to use as well.

I would also encourage the teachers to tap into the OET teacher community for support.

My main concern about this course is that it’s mainly input and little output but that’s something I would need to think about in terms of the actual logistics of running the course and the potential trainees.   In this instance, it is simply a Taster course, but there would be scope to integrate teaching practice sessions (but that would be marketed under a different label.)

Thank you.

Jane

PS I’ve just uploaded an updated version as I realise I used the word students instead of trainees (the one mention of students means the students we’ll be teaching) – sorry for the confusion.  I don’t know how to remove the original attachment.

Attachments:
                                          Beth Melia-Leigh
                                            @beth

Hi Jane,

Thank you for sharing your course plan. This is a new context for me, so it’s been really interesting to learn a little more about teaching (and training) for the OET. Your overview and course notes at the beginning also provided useful background and helped to contextualise the taster course.

Some aspects of the course design that stood out as being particularly effective for me were:

• Plenty of coffee!!
                                            • Inclusion of a pre-course quiz and focusing on expectations/fears at the beginning.
                                            • Dealing with different papers each day – provides a specific focus.
                                            • Use of colour.
                                            • Inclusion of different input sources (e.g. video clips, practice papers, criteria, self-study resources).
                                            • Trainees putting themselves in the students’ shoes (= loop input).
                                            • Development of learner autonomy (both for trainees and students).
                                            • Opportunities for reviewing learning, Q&A and CPD.

Some things to think about:

• As you said, it is rather input heavy, so I would consider where/how you might be able to incorporate more opportunities for practice/application, e.g. micro- or peer-teaching.
                                            • Could you draw more on the teachers’ previous experience, e.g. by drawing links between GE teaching and OET teaching and highlighting similarities/differences, transferable skills, etc. This may help to take away some of the fear of teaching in a different context, i.e. an effective lesson is still an effective lesson.
                                            • You mention on day 1 teaching Reading A as you would teach it to learners – as I mentioned above, I believe this kind of experiential learning through loop input can be very useful. However, I wonder if, as well as using this as a springboard for reviewing the paper (i.e. what you taught), you could also use it to analyse how you taught it. Again, you could then draw on how this might be similar/different to how they usually approach teaching reading.
                                            • I wonder if at the end of the course it would be worth coming back to the fears that were raised at the beginning to reflect on if/how these have been allayed? (And, if not, what else can be done?)

All the best,

Beth.

Jane McKinney
                                            Participant
                                              @erinaceus

Hi Beth

Thank you for your feedback.  As you know, you can’t do a course without coffee!

It was interesting to read what you said about using GE because in the input session I’m looking at for U3, I’ve brought that in to my plan and there’s an activity there where trainees share reading activities that they do in their non OET contexts.  I hope as I start to get into the nuts and bolts of the course, I’ll be able to find more opportunities for doing this and developing the trainees’ confidence.

Thanks, Jane

Aurelia Cristiana Serban
                                            Participant
                                              @cris

Thank you, everyone, I have learnt a lot from your examples and from the extensive feedback offered.

Gabriela Cazan
                                              Participant
                                                @gabi

Hi Nick!

Thanks for your feedback. You were so right about systems:-( I’ve completely overlooked this aspect. :negative:

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                                                Participant
                                                  @noshin

hi,

I apologise for the late entry of this novice attempt at planning a course. Just finished an observation week, so it took some time to reflect and plan this task.

Attachments:
                                                    Beth Melia-Leigh
                                                      @beth

Hi Nosheen,

Thank you for sharing your course timetable. I found the overview of the course, the participants, the aim, etc. at the beginning very useful in providing context. Is this a real course you have delivered/will deliver? If so, you may also find the content of the upcoming units on observation and feedback will come in handy as well.

Overall, I think this looks like a great course. Here is a summary of the main things I think work well:

• Experiential learning (e.g. drawing on own experience of being observed and observing).
                                                      • Different input sources (e.g. video, samples, reflection, discussion).
                                                      • Inclusion of both online and face-to-face modes.
                                                      • Logical staging / scaffolding of input and tasks (i.e. moving from input and micro-practice in week 1 to practical sessions in week 2).
                                                      • Opportunities for self-reflection and feedback from the trainer.

All the best,

Beth.

Fardin KARAMI QEBCHAQ
                                                    Participant
                                                      @fardin-turk

Hello everyone.
                                                      As I mailed Beth before, I have passed a traffice accident cuz of that I’m doing my tasks late. sorry for that.

Attachments:
                                                        Jane McKinney
                                                        Participant
                                                          @erinaceus

Sorry to hear about the accident.  Glad to hear you’re OK.

Jane

Fardin KARAMI QEBCHAQ
                                                          Participant
                                                            @fardin-turk

tnx dear Jane

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.