Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicholas Northall
        @nick-northall

Here we want you to post a lesson plan and relevant materials (your own or one written by another teacher – just ensure you get their permission first!) in this forum. You can use this pro-forma.

Once you have posted your plan – and any relevant materials – comment on at least one other plan (you don’t need to provide initial feedback on your own, but you should reply to any feedback you receive).

Think about: 

• Does the plan have clear and achievable aims? 
        • Is the plan clear and easy to follow? 
        • Is the procedure logically ordered to meet the lesson aims?
        • Does the plan include some variety in interaction patterns and tasks?
        • Does the plan fit into the wider course aims? 
        • Do you think the plan will meet the learners’ needs? 
        • And any other ideas you have.
        Nosheen Asghar Mirza
        Participant
          @noshin

Hi,

This is a lesson plan on teaching Prefixes, giving by a prep year teacher, at a local Saudi University.

I couldn’t upload all the handouts :scratch:

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Gabriela Cazan
          Participant
            @gabi

Hello,

This is a teacher’s lesson plan on past habits and states. All the activities are included in this document.

Gabriela Cazan
            Participant
              @gabi

Oh… It exceeds allowed file size:-(

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                Participant
                  @noshin

Yup, I had to pick and choose. Couldn’t upload everything.

Gabriela Cazan
                Participant
                  @gabi

I hope it works this time.

Attachments:
                    NANEES ASGHAR
                    Participant
                      @nanees

Hi Gabi,

This seemed to me a well-rounded lesson plan. Some strong points:

-Use of visuals

-Creativity target (imagining a context)

-Scaffolding worksheets to clarify concepts

-Students’ collaboration

-Personalizing the topic :good:

Gabriela Cazan
                    Participant
                      @gabi

It seems that I can’t upload the files which contain the pictures of the two children the lesson is about. :-(

Gabriela Cazan
                      Participant
                        @gabi

I think the plan posted by Nosheen lacks the aims of each activity proposed by the teacher. Also, given the fact that by reading a plan another teacher should be able to do the lesson, I think that the teacher could have added some ways in which she could clarify meaning and introduce instructions, such as CCQs and ICQs that could be used.

In terms of variety in interaction, by looking at the LP I can see that the interaction is usually T-Ss or T-SSs, which makes me think it’s a teacher centred lesson. I can see ss>ss just once, so there’s not much student interaction.

Also, I think the procedure could be more clear. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I don’t know when I should use the course book, and when exactly I could use the activities in the handouts which were uploaded (and most probably to be used by the teacher).

The teacher writes ‘Student would be given worksheets to reinforce this new vocabulary ‘, but it doesn’t say where I could find them. Are they in an Appendix attached to the plan or where exactly?

The teacher writes ‘Simple brain storming activity to elicit ideas and unlock previous knowledge by asking questions about given material.” What questions shall I ask? If I’m a teacher who has to do this lesson because the one who wrote the plan is sick, it would be unclear for me what exactly I should do.

Overall, in my view, the plan is not clear enough to help another teacher do the lesson properly and without much struggle to understand the flow of the lesson and what materials to use and when to use them.

Nosheen Asghar Mirza
                          Participant
                            @noshin

Thanks for the feed back, and I agree with some points.  However the teacher wasn’t required to go in such detail by the ELC.

Couldn’t attach the vocabulary sheet and other material.

NANEES ASGHAR
                          Participant
                            @nanees

Attached is the lesson plan of a pre-university ESL class. Couldn’t attach worksheet 3.

Attachments:
                            Gabriela Cazan
                            Participant
                              @gabi

Yes Nanees, I agree. However, I advised her to mark the interaction (Ss<>Ss, T<Ss, etc), and break the guided discovery into two parts: one checking meaning and the other checking form.

Beth Melia-Leigh
                                @beth

Dear All,

Thank you to Nosheen, Nanees and Gabi for contributing to this forum task. What happened to everyone else this week??

I hope that this unit served as a useful refresher of key considerations when it comes to lesson planning and also helped you to start to consider how you might best support the teachers you work with in planning their own lessons.

Of course, the type of lesson plan that is required will depend on a number of factors, including the purpose of the observation, whether or not a particular pro-forma is provided/required, how experienced the teacher is, the learning context, lesson type, aims, any institutional requirements, etc. and your feedback should reflect this.

In many ways, providing feedback on a lesson plan is similar to providing feedback on a lesson (more on this in Unit 6) and should be handled sensitively. I think it can be useful to provide a balance of positive comments and suggestions for improvement so as not to dent the teacher’s confidence. It is also unhelpful to make lots and lots of suggestions of changes just before the teacher is due to deliver the lesson when they have little/no time to do anything about it.

How directive your feedback is/can be will also depend on the nature of the observation and how experienced the teacher is, but, again, this is something that will be covered in much more depth later in the course.

Thanks once again to those of you who shared lesson plans and commented on each other’s.If you haven’t contributed to this task yet, please feel free to do so.

Best wishes,

Beth.

Jane McKinney
                                Participant
                                  @erinaceus

Hi there

I found this unit useful in terms of thinking about what makes a good plan and recognising the parts that I also struggle with when writing them.

Apologies for not commenting over the weekend but I try and keep away from the computer as I live on it the rest of the time.

I haven’t submitted a plan as I’m not teaching too much at the moment and my current approach probably reflects a dogme style.  I appreciate that this is not an excuse for not planning and I usually have a number of activities available but the student concerned seems to like the flexibility and that she can share her needs and concerns during the class.

I enjoyed the Jason Anderson presentation.  Whatever format I use, I always like to plan in around 10 minutes of ‘free’ time to allow for spontaniety but I’m not sure that would be allowed in some cases.  When I did my Delta, I think I had to anticipate and plan for every moment. :good:

Thank you for sharing.

Jane

Aurelia Cristiana Serban
                                  Participant
                                    @cris

Hello and apologies for uploading my lesson plan late…This is a lesson taught 6 years ago. Hope I will receive some helpful comments.

One doc that would not upload was the method of pairing students: they find a small piece of paper with a word written on it stuck under their chair; they need to go around to find a synonym for that word – by asking their colleagues.

Also, the ppt is too large in size…I turned all slides into jpeg, made an archive but still too big. I cannot upload it.

Attachments:
                                      Marcia Clarke
                                      Participant
                                        @marcia

Hi Cris,
                                        I found your plan very easy to follow. It also seemed highly interactive and the activities/handout support the content. A lesson like this can easily be tweaked based on who the learners are. Curious about the timing. Did it work well?
                                        Thank you for sharing.

Aurelia Cristiana Serban
                                        Participant
                                          @cris

Thank you for your comments, Marcia. Regarding timing, I tend  plan too much, apparently… so it was tight indeed.

Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                        Participant
                                          @angharad

Hi everyone,

My apologies for joining this discussion late – I missed this task the first time around – :wacko:

Here’s a link to a dropbox folder which has all the relevant materials and lesson plan etc to a lesson delivered to a group of upper-intermediate learners (if I remember correctly!) Please can I ask someone to let me know if the link doesn’t work and I’ll try to share it with you in another way. Thank you in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i4r6pdp7v3weei0/AACQpCmjt8-4x-zC1D2v35Lka?dl=0

Angharad Vernon-Hunt
                                          Participant
                                            @angharad

Here are a few thoughts I had on the lesson plan that Gabi posted above:

1. Does the plan have clear and achievable aims? Yes, though I’m sure there could be a subsidiary aim to this lesson also?

2. Is the plan clear and easy to follow? It is, though I would probably suggest to a trainee that the language analysis section come after the procedure, and the background info on S and timetable fit etc come higher up in the plan.

3. Is the procedure logically ordered to meet the lesson aims? It seems to be yes – and looks like a ‘model’ has been followed.

4. Does the plan include some variety in interaction patterns and tasks? I think there is a good amount of variety in tasks here and whilst the interaction pattern isn’t shown (it might be an idea to get the trainee to include this to encourage them to think of the lesson from the learners’ point of view..) from what I can see there is enough variety.

5. Does the plan fit into the wider course aims? The course aims are unknown but previous lessons (grammar) are noted so some consideration to how it fits in with previous learning has been given which is good.

6. Do you think the plan will meet the learners’ needs? It looks like the lesson would help meet the main aim of the lesson. The assumptions section also goes some way to addressing this – though perhaps more info on the wider course aims would be helpful to answer this more accurately?

7. And any other ideas you have. I thought a chance for the leaners to reflect on the TL of the lesson would be nice – i.e. how often they think they might use it. They could also reflect on the lesson as a whole with a question like What do you think you will remember from the lesson?  which could be helpful for the T to see what S engaged with mostly, and could inform future planning for this group. I particularly liked how S were encouraged to personalise the TL to make it more memorable and think the lead-in sounds very engaging and would likely be appropriate for a wide range of learners.

Thanks for sharing it Gabi!

Marcia Clarke
                                            Participant
                                              @marcia

Hi everyone. I am behind on this task and playing catch up. Please see the sample plan attached that was done by another teacher. It is a bit dated and so maybe a good one for review.

Attachments:
                                              Lawrence Easterbrook
                                              Participant
                                                @lozfinch

Hi,

apologies for being so late to this one but lesson plan and link to materials attached.

Best,

Lawrence

Attachments:
                                                Fardin KARAMI QEBCHAQ
                                                Participant
                                                  @fardin-turk

Hi, sorry again for late response,  u know the reason. I have uplode files.

and this is the video that will be used.

Attachments:
                                              Viewing 16 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.