Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please share your thoughts on the two questions you were considering when looking at the different content.

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Allison Dresner
        Participant
          @spottypoppy

Storyline seems to be more flexible in terms of layout title page etc whereas Rise has a fairly consistent approach to layout of a course.

In terms of the content, Rise seems to allow it to be much more structured with students clearly seeing each lesson within a course. Perhaps then Rise is more suitable for a longer course or courses which have a range of different modules. Also Rise looks more formal in terms of the title and starting content but clearly we can insert a whole range of different multimedia and different interactions including external web materials  within it.

Jemima Perry
          Participant
            @jemima

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

• Rise is horizontal and Storyline is vertical
            • The menu is more obvious in Rise

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

• Rise seems to be used for series of lessons and storyline can be included in those lessons.
            • Storyline seems more interactive and good for giving instant feedback
            • Storyline is better for more ‘lesson like’ content, Rise is better for giving information?
            Paula Villegas Verdu
            Participant
              @paula_villegas
              • What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline? As @jemima has noted, rise is horizontal and Storyline vertical. Also, it seems easier to have a wider range of colours in Rise than in Storyline? (Storyline seems to be all about red, green, purple and blue. Maybe this can be changed and the use of those colours is a conscious branding decision?)
              • What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline? Rise can host a course/ set of lessons neatly and it also looks a bit more grown-up? (maybe it is because I don’t love the whole red, green, purple and blue theme going on, why would anyone put those colours together?). Rise can host a wide range of activities but Storyline can make them feel personal (avatars/ teacher throughout) it also allows more complex navigation options (different sets of questions by pressing different buttons in one slide). To me, it feels like Storyline is ‘the workbook’ where you do hands-on tasks and get feedback and  Rise is ‘the course book’ where you get all the info neatly organised and have concept-check type of questions
              Natallia Novikava
              Participant
                @natallia

Rise seems to have a more obvious but at the same time more flexible structure: there are subtopics/subsections and it is easy to navigate between them. Storyline takes students from task to task in a linear way. In terms of layout, I agree with Jemima: rise is vertical and Storyline is horizontal.

Content-wise, Rise suits better for presenting more information either in text form or video, Storyline is more suitable for interactive activities with immediate feedback. I like Paula’s idea that Rise is like a coursebook while Storyline is more of a workbook,

David Lincoln
                Participant
                  @david-l

Rise seems to give a more  structured, horizontal  approach. It seems more linear and  more formal in presentation. It seems very organised for supplying different information.

Storyline seems more flexible   in its approach with links to other websites . It has social presence in an avatar guiding the learner. It feels more flexible ,adaptive and interactive. :bye:

Thomas Leach
                  Participant
                    @thomasleach

Rise looks more modern compared to Storyline. I could imagine Rise being very web based while Storyline is used inhouse.

I think Rise is more flexible in that it adjusts to different browsers while Storyline doesn’t. But Storyline seems to have more depth to it but can be embedded in rise anyway.

PANAGIOTA TZANNI
                    Participant
                      @ptzanni

Rise seems more modern than storyline with more features as well. I think storyline is for more simple concepts that interactivity is not so important. Rise is for more complex ideas that need many steps to be explained along with practice.

Julie Ibdali
                      Participant
                        @julie

I agree with all the comments above especially @jemima when she states that ‘Storyline is better for more ‘lesson like’ content’.

sue robbins
                        Participant
                          @suerobbins

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

Rise – more limited content types and presentation/formatting modes. Consistent in look with a simple interface. Navigation is visible. It’s quick and easy to use. Easy to present the clear flow of content.

Storyline – wider range and more complex types of content/interactions available. Can adapt the presentation/customise the look. I’m guessing more difficult to learn (especially ‘triggers’).

Rise – when there’s quite a bit (of varied) on-screen material, and the content is mostly text-based. When you want learners to have an overview & control the navigation.

Storyline – when the course works more like ‘training’ – learners progress through a series of tasks with right/wrong answers (?)

Caitlin Coyle
                          Participant
                            @caitlin

1. What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

At the risk of repeating a lot of what already being said….I think Rise seems more vertical whereas Storyline more horizontal. You get a more PPT feel with Storyline (whilst its far more more interactive than PPT).

2. What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

I think because of its more PPT feel, Storyline comes across as more user-friendly or least more familiar. I think the need to scroll  on Rise can be off-putting to a certain extent. I was recently speaking with a colleague who was a Learning Advisor and she was mentioning how we do lots online now it is still made to look like we are doing in on paper e.g. we have pages on Word documents not just one endless page. With stylus pens/pencils as well we are replicating the paper experience albeit making things more convenient by doing them digitally. On account of this and learners’ possible  familiarity with PPT I think in general most learner content would be better on Storyline, especially individual lessons and handbooks (as one of the examples shows), etc. I think Rise could be used for a sequence of lessons for learners, especially when there isn’t time/space for Storyline content. I have also used Rise as a teacher in a course’s induction (which again I think is similar to one of the examples).

:bye:

Rachel Beresford
                            Participant
                              @rachel-beresford

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

I agree with the points made above about Rise being vertical and Storyline horizontal, and that Rise tends to have a standard look while a greater variety of different designs and activities seem possible with Storyline.

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Rise seems to be more suitable for longer courses or larger amounts of information, whereas Storyline is better suited to creating shorter, interactive lessons (which could then be embedded into Rise as part of a course.

Bernadette Kelly
                              Participant
                                @berniek

I agree with all the above on design and layout (vertical – horizontal) and that storyline seems more suited to ‘one-off’ interactive lessons with instant feedback. Thinking about this, wouldn’t the choice be influenced quite a lot by the degree to which the course is online/blended/F2F?

Aline André
                                Participant
                                  @aline

1. What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

Rise has a clear and consistent structure which facilitates navigation. It seems more formal – for serious stuff.  Storyline seems to be more interactive and informal because the use of avatars.

2. What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Rise seems to be about presenting new, long information while Storyline seems to be about short lessons with hands-on activities and instant feedback

David Read
                                  Keymaster
                                    @david

thanks @spottypoppy @jemima @paula_villegas @natallia @david-l @thomasleach @ptzanni @julie @suerobbins @caitlin @rachel-beresford @berniek @aline for all your comments on the differences between Storyline and Rise, lots of very insightful thoughts on how they both are likely to be used. Being able to select the right tool is important as it will affect how your students interact with the content.

I don’t have much to add as you’ve really nailed down the differences, particularly the fact that Storyline is more for ‘lessons’ that are worked through in one sitting or a short period whereas Rise is for content that might be worked through over several days/week. Perhaps another thing to consider is which device the students are using and which work better on them. Rise is a more recent tool and has very much been designed with mobile in mind, whereas when you design in Storyline you have to really test how it will act on a small device as the size of buttons etc can make it quite tricky. Both of them have settings that let you see what they will look like in mobile/tablet/desktop view, but you do have to try and test them on those devices to get a feel for how they will actually work.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.