Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Juliet Parfitt
      Keymaster
          @juliet

Please share your thoughts on the two questions you were considering when looking at the different content.

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Joanne Tindall
          Participant
              @jomtindall

Design and layout: In Rise the design and layout are very much the same style throughout. I suppose this could get a bit boring or predictable for learners that are using it a lot. Storyline offers more variety. Maybe there is more author control in terms of how to set up the layout?

Content: Rise lends itself better to straight ‘input’. There are features (as we saw in the last unit) to offer interaction in terms of quizzes etc, but the potential for learners to reflect on their learning and interact and thereby satisfy Elaborative Rehearsal and Desirable Difficulties is better in Storyline. 

I like the following features in Storyline:

A question, then type the answers – then compare with the teacher’s answer

A question , then interactive photos with pop up/fly in answers

A variety of quiz types with attractive layout.

Tania Pacheco
              Participant
                  @tania-pacheco

Hi all,
                  A. What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?
                  Rise 
                  Cons

1. It has an already pre-set up design

2. Offers limited choices

3. Users are unable to break their system

Pros

1. Easy to use

2. If planned effectively, it looks professional no matter what the content is about

Articulate

1. More flexible

2. Relies 100% on the creator’s creativity

3. More complex to use

B. What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Rise 

I am not sure, possible it is perfect for marketing purposes.

Articulate

It seems to be ideal for learning purposes

Although, the combination of both seems to be effective. I’ve seen using the videos from Storyline embedded on Rise on the previous examples.

In conclusion, I think both are good for learning purposes as they support each other. It seems to be a matter of personal preference. :unsure:

Akiko IWATA
                  Participant
                      @akiko

Hi there.

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

is good in fixed-style, a little bit rigid kind of layout, such as textbook, handbook, guideline and so on. On the other hand, Storyline is more free and flexible, and it can be casual because of it.

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Rise is good in information aquisition type of content, which is more receptive, such as lecture, orientation, or company profile, which provide stylish touch. On the other hand, Storyline is better suited to thinking practice, knowledge practice, elaborative rehearsal type of content, and enable learners skill by various ways. I’d like to add that it seems Storyline is suitable for thinking practice rather than just checking test because it enables to put more information in the box. For example, when we use Matching of Edit Knowledge Check in Rise, the content of information is limited, while in Storyline I suppose that we can put more information in box or bubble speech etc.

Linda Roth
                      Participant
                          @tinkerbell

Hmm –  I had to cheat a bit here to catch up, I’m afraid!

I found some useful info here!

https://elmlearning.com/blog/articulate-rise-vs-storyline/#:~:text=Articulate%20Storyline%20comes%20with%20some,text%2Dheavy%20and%20templated%20content.

Storyline enables instructional designers to implement a variety of features in their learning content. For example, they can add elements like quizzes, animations, audio-visual elements, and screen recording into the courses. So, very flexible, in terms of content.

Looks and feels a lot like Microsoft Powerpoint with both free-form and slide templates so easy to use even for less experienced designers (according to the blurb, anyway!).

I agree with Akiko, in that this would seem to be more appropriate for a learning experience, as opposed to a course which is intended to inform.

Rise comes with limited customisation options and is more suitable for text-heavy and templated content.

Comes with a drag-and-drop builder that makes designing courses super simple and quick.

However, I am puzzled by this comment on the blog:

‘Rise is much more responsive and flexible than Storyline.’ but then goes on to say ‘Rise comes with limited customisation options and is more suitable for text-heavy and templated content.’.

This seems contradictory to me!

Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                          Participant
                              @helen-sc

Rise has more of a ‘scroll up and down’ format whereas storyline has arrows to click ‘next’ and ‘back’.

I think in this sense Rise could be more suited for ‘lesson/ ‘self study’ type content as its easier for students to quickly look back at some thing further up the page rather than clicking ‘back’ over several pages.

Storyline gives more variety with layout and text sizes, it seems. Can include multiple images (avatar + image) on a page. This can make a course more personable and ‘user friendly’.

I feel Storyline offers more variety on how to present information to the user so could help avoid tasks on a course becoming to ‘samey’. However, I think Rise has good options too and can still make an online course interesting.

As Tania says, I think some it it is down to personal preference. :good:

David Read
                              Keymaster
                                  @david

Thanks @jomtindall @helen-sc @tinkerbell @akiko @tania-pacheco, all of you are very much hitting the mark in identifying the difference between these two tools.
                                  Linda, you quoted the blog, saying:

‘Rise is much more responsive and flexible than Storyline.’ but then goes on to say ‘Rise comes with limited customisation options and is more suitable for text-heavy and templated content.’.

and you felt this was contradictory. I think the use of the word ‘responsible’ and ‘flexible’ relates to its ability to scale better to different devices (e.g. mobile/tablet) rather than the flexibility of the content. Storyline doesn’t always scale well on mobile devices and text can be hard to read and buttons hard to hit with fingers.

Tania, you make the good point that the ideal situation might be using both as Storyline can be embedded within Rise!

Richard Davie
                                  Participant
                                      @egq22rd

I go with Helen’s comment:

Rise has more of a ‘scroll up and down’ format whereas storyline has arrows to click ‘next’ and ‘back’.

I think in this sense Rise could be more suited for ‘lesson/ ‘self study’ type content as its easier for students to quickly look back at some thing further up the page rather than clicking ‘back’ over several pages.

The look, at least of the sample material, is cleaner & clearer (two magic words for me), and I wonder if that aesthetic quality is very important for (at least some) learners.

My impression is you can do anything with either platform, if you use your nous (as David said: ‘create in one; embed in the other’).

Does this suggest then that other factors should be more important in determining choice (e.g. optimal mobile device accessibility / cross-platform compatability / etc.)? And that learner training to optimise effective use should be a really important part of a whatever package we create?

Tim Radnor
                                      Participant
                                          @timr

Rise is generally more text-based: looks more like a page on paper;  less directly ‘talks’ to student.

Rise layout more like Blackboard or other VLE, where students go to it and select section or unit from menu

Storyline is more slide-based and resembles powerpoint or ‘lecture-style presentation’ (although it shouldn’t be a lecture obv.) ; ‘talks’ more directly to student; more ‘personal’?

Storyline layout/structure seems more structured: students guided through steps more (OR although it is possible to go back and forth, it appears to students they are being guided more through steps)

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Rise: suits (short) blocks of text better; in-sessional university module or lesson; links to external resources such as video and other websites

Storyline: self-contained courses or preparation units; interactive quizzes; self-study exercises such as gap-fills (although these can be done on Rise using H5P embed)

Amon Ezike
                                          Participant
                                              @amon246

What are the main differences in design and layout between Rise and Storyline?

In terms of layout Storyline uses the slide approach while Rise is more about scrolling. Storyline has lots of design option and seems to be quite flexible in terms of design

What kinds of content seem better suited for Rise and which kinds of content are better suited for Storyline?

Storyline : Storyline is more interactive than Rise, it provides user with good interaction and will be suited for self study courses . Example in Rise to get students to type their response you either use google docs or padlet this is not the case with Storyline

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.