Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
        @anastasios

Here, you can ask any technical questions you might have about the function we focussed on, Concordancing. We can clarify things from the guides and/or the practical tasks e.g. if you got different results, couldn’t perform the search, need help to understand your concordance, etc. We can also answer any questions that arose during any other searches you might have performed on your own for practice.

Diana Freeman
        Participant
          @deefree

Hi @anastasios

While looking at the adjectives that co-occur with analysis, I looked at the frequency too – which words co-occur most frequently with analysis. I used the frequency option on the tool bar at the top to do this.

I notice that a number of the words appear twice in the frequency list according to whether they start with upper case or lower case.

Example: Empirical analysis showed 11 occurrences and empirical showed 9. Does that mean that the words co-occurred 18 times?

The same distinction applies to comparative/Comparative and competitive/Competitive.  It seems a bit strange that if we want to find out which words co-occur most frequently we need to go in and add up the different versions of the word…

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
          Keymaster
            @anastasios

Hi @deefree that’s correct, but we will cover the Frequency tool in great detail in Unit 5. There is a way to include both forms, lower- and upper-case, in the results without having to do the math. The distinction is an important one for researchers, teachers and students as they might be interested in words at the beginning of sentences or perhaps in titles and subheadings. I hope that helps for now.

Jianying Zhang
            Participant
              @jianying-zhang

A very small question:

In the context “</s><s> It means no user is required to use a particular product simply”, what does the symbol “</s><s>” mean?

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                @anastasios

Hi @jianying-zhang. Thank you for your question. This is an example of marking up a corpus, and it stands for sentence boundaries, with <s> indicating the beginning of a sentence and </s> the end of the sentence. Another example you might encounter is <p> and </p> for paragraph boundaries. You can ignore them, but if you find them distracting you can turn them off by following the instructions below:

1. Click on the View options button
                2. Untick the s in the Show structures box
                3. Save

Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.