Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

Here, you can ask any technical questions you might have about the function we focussed on, Concordancing. We can clarify things from the guides and/or the practical tasks e.g. if you got different results, couldn’t perform the search, need help to understand your concordance, etc. We can also answer any questions that arose during any other searches you might have performed on your own for practice.

Yuqin Ni
          Participant
              @ziyinini

Hello, professor. It seems that I got the same hits with you for Task 1 and Task 2. However, I got a bit more than your for Task 3 and Task 4, even though the same conditions have been met. I am wondering whether I had the wrong process or the corpus data has been enriched?

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                  @anastasios

Hello @ziyinini No, you didn’t do anything wrong and the corpus has not been updated (it is not a monitor corpus that grows in size). We didn’t specify whether you need to search for analysis as a word or a lemma. If you put analysis in the word box, you only examine the form analysis (singular). If you put it in the lemma box, you examine both analysis and analyses. That’s why you got a slightly higher frequency (1,346 hits). The same was the case for Task 4. So, there is no right or wrong; it just depends what you want to examine. Perhaps I will add this to the answer key next time, so thank you for your question.

Rhian Webb
                  Participant
                      @rmwebb

Hi. Sometimes I spotted what looked some oddities, such as, analyse being used as a noun. I read the text around the word but still didn’t understand the grammar pattern that was being used. Do you think this is because various disciplines use the words differently from the way that one would expect if you didn’t know that discipline. Also, I saw some strange punctuation when we did the see task. I spotted see’s which was something to do with Neitzschse. I tried searching for it again but then couldn’t find it… I presume that the corpus queries will sometimes throw up some idiosyncratic language! Any thoughts on how to cope with these especially if students see them too and starting asking me tricky questions!!!

Vera Duncanson
                      Participant
                          @vera-t

Hi Anastasios,

Would it be possible to perform the same search as in Timmis (2015), from the Recommended reading section, but using Sketch Engine, to notice the difference between convince and persuade in terms of their grammatical patterns to answer the question: Which verb is used more often in the pattern Verb-Object-Infinitive?

I’ve tried using the lemma convince/persuade and Filter context – part of speech – verb – within 3 tokens – right. This does not however search for infinitives only. Is it possible to search for a specific pattern or do I have to sift through all the patterns myself? I remember  that “Sort right context” will make patterns more obvious but is it the only way or is it possible to search for a specific pattern, like in the example above?

Thanks,

Vera

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                            Keymaster
                                @anastasios

Hi @vera-t

Good thinking and application of the tool! But, as you realised using the lemma filter and filtering for a verb doesn’t necessarily give you an infinitive. Yet, there is a way to do it. I thought I could tell you, but then I had a better idea. I am going to show you the concordance and give you the chance to figure out how I did it. Let me know if you need help. Have fun ;)

Persuade + infinitive

Vera Duncanson
                                Participant
                                    @vera-t

You are as ‘nasty’ a teacher as myself, Anastasios :-) :good: Now I have to figure it out for myself :-( :-)

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                                    Keymaster
                                        @anastasios

Hehe @vera-t I just had faith in you. Glad you figured it out. We will more learn complex grammatical enquiries for teachers in Unit 6.

Vera Duncanson
                                        Participant
                                            @vera-t

I see.  Instead of Filter context – part of speech – verb, you did Filter context – lemma to. Simple and effective! Thanks Anastasios :good:

Rhian Webb
                                          Participant
                                              @rmwebb

@anastasios. Hi!  Sometimes I spotted what looked some oddities, such as, analyse being used as a noun. I read the text around the word but still didn’t understand the grammar pattern that was being used. Do you think this is because various disciplines use the words differently from the way that one would expect if you didn’t know that discipline. Also, I saw some strange punctuation when we did the see task. I spotted see’s which was something to do with Neitzschse. I tried searching for it again but then couldn’t find it… I presume that the corpus queries will sometimes throw up some idiosyncratic language! Any thoughts on how to cope with these especially if students see them too and starting asking me tricky questions!!!

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                                              Keymaster
                                                  @anastasios

Good morning @rmwebb! Thank you for your questions.

Regarding your question about analyse being used as a noun. Remember BAWE is a corpus that consists of student assignments, so it is unavoidable that it will contain some errors, regardless of the first language of the student. That’s why it’s important to look at the frequency to guide us. Analyse as a verb occurs 1,440 times in the corpus (172.74 per million). On the other hand, the analyse occurs 2 times (0.24 per million). One comes from a student whose first language is French, the other from a student whose first language is English.

Regarding punctuation, you need to search for see’s as two words: see ‘s (space in between). This is because in BAWE punctuation is tokenised. That means that punctuation marks count towards the overall token number and you can search for them.

Finally, I think you are referring to the sentence boundaries, right? The symbol </s><s>? They come after fullstops to show that a sentence finishes and another starts. You can turn these off by clicking on the eye button (View options) – it is just before the Sample button. Then, look at the column ‘show structures’ and untick the s (see attached screenshot). This will remove the sentence boundaries from your concordance.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
                                                  You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                              Viewing 6 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.