Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
        @anastasios

Here, you can ask any technical questions you might have about the function we focussed on, Corpus Query Language (CQL). We can clarify things from the guides and/or the practical tasks e.g. if you got different results, couldn’t perform the search, need help to understand your CQL, etc. We can also answer any questions that arose during any other searches you might have performed on your own for practice.

Diana Freeman
        Participant
          @deefree

Hi @anastasios

I have enjoyed using CQL!

I notice that if I type the CQL sequence in word and then copy/paste into CQL it doesn’t like it…I get messages “unexpected character in position 6”

Although if I type the same sequence directly into CQL it works…

Are the tags that Sketch Engine has for PoS the same as the tags the BNC uses?  For instance does VM mean modal auxiliary in Sketch Engine and the BNC?

Regards

Diana

Diana Freeman
          Participant
            @deefree

Hi @anastasios

I could make the CQL: 1.       [lemma=”it”] [word=”can|could|may|might”] [word=”be”] work.

It just came up as “unexpected character near position 8”

Possibly daft question…Why is ‘it’ a lemma and not a word?

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
            Keymaster
              @anastasios

Hello @deefree thank you for your great questions.

Regarding the error you get, it sounds like it is the double quotation marks. Do they look like this in Word:“ ” ? If yes, then this is the problem. CQL only works with ” ” I am guessing this is why you get the same message for the sequence it + modal + be.

Regarding the tagsets, yes the two corpora are using different versions of CLAWS. BNC has been tagged with Version 5 (see tagset), while BAWE uses CLAWS Version 7 (see tagset). There are slight differences, such the modal verbs as you mentioned i.e. VM0 (Version 5) – VM (Version 7). You can always click on the button TAGS when you are typing a CQL and that takes you to the tagset the corpus has been tagged with.

Finally, a very good question, lemma or word? Both are fine but it depends on what you want to include in your results.

[lemma=”it”] will include all forms of it i.e. it and It, so essentially you are looking for the structure at the beginning or the middle of the sentence. On the other hand, [word=”it”] will include only the form it, so you won’t see any examples of the structure at the beginning of a sentence. Similarly, [word=”It”] will only give you results at the beginning of the sentence. So, essentially it is up to you. I think we included both in the tasks.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.