Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anastasios Asimakopoulos
      Keymaster
          @anastasios

Now, tell us which task you looked at and what your thoughts were in terms of:

• its purpose/learning objectives
          • task instructions
          • layout
          • corpus techniques used
          • any links or answer keys included

Please focus on ONE task only so that everyone gets the chance to contribute.

Paula Acejo Cantero
          Participant
              @powla

Hello,

I found all tasks well-thought of, except number 4 which I could not understand well.

I particularly liked task 3 for its exploration of semantics and polysemy, followed by grammar structure. It places the student in the position “discoverer” and deductive, experential learning is deeper than reading the answers or theory without actively participating in the process.

I liked 1 too, simple and clear, I would also make the connection with register and how people might use go down more often orally and colloquially.

I also liked task 2, very practical. I found that the graph might make it difficult to use all verbs ( there’s little stability), it would have been nice to suggest the rate fluctuates and use some adverb collocations too, but the idea and instructions are inspiring.

:mail:

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
              Keymaster
                  @anastasios

Thank you @powla Could you tell us a little more about Task 4? You can use the bullet points to guide you to identify any strengths and limitations. It’s a good opportunity to identify aspects that you can use in your own practice and those you need to avoid when designing materials.

Jayn Kilbon
                  Participant
                      @jk

I looked at task 1.

its purpose/learning objectives: I thought it was a clear and simple sequence of activities to help students notice that the rules that are sometimes taught about academic writing, e.g. no phrasal verbs, are not always true and writers need to make choices about the language they use depending on their intended message.

task instructions and layout: the instructions and layout seem clear and easy for students to follow

corpus techniques used: the students are asked to do a simple check for frequency. I did wonder if there were follow-on tasks in which the students looked at concordance lines (either in Sketch Engine or examples provided by the tutor) as I think it would have been useful for students to explore the differences in usage in more detail.

any links or answer keys included: having the links embedded in the document seems like a good way to get students quickly to the information that they need to look at (although one of the links didn’t work for me). The answer key was clear. However, if the activity didn’t go on to explore how the words were used in more depth, as a tutor, I would have liked a bit more information, particularly about the usage of conduct v carry out as I would expect students to ask questions about that.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                      Keymaster
                          @anastasios

Thank you for your detailed evaluation Jayn @jk I agree with you – a good follow-up task would be to explore the pair conduct vs carry out further, since their frequencies were different from the rest of the pairs.

Prisila Mlingi
                          Participant
                              @prisila

Hi everyone,

I would like to evaluate task 3

Purpose/learning objectives: notice and use verb patterns that describe trends/tendencies in visuals e.g. graphs
                              Task instructions: The instructions are clear for part A because the teacher was eliciting the student’s knowledge on the topic and in doing this the teacher was able to connect the students’ responses to the target language structure of the lesson.  For part B as a way of extending the activity and giving students autonomy, the teacher would have asked the student to check the patterns on the corpus tool? :unsure:
                              Layout: This is well done since the tasks follow a logical order. It is therefore easy for the students to follow the task.
                              Corpus techniques used: The students are asked to make queries on collocations.
                              Any links or answer keys included: The teacher does not provide links or answer key. I think this is important because students are able to participate in the activities seamlessly. The answer key will enable them conduct peer or self assessment.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                              Keymaster
                                  @anastasios

Thank you for sharing your evaluation @prisila I think you are referring to task two, right? This is a task where the teacher extracted the data from the corpus and used to develop the task (see rate + Simple Present verb), but it’s not very clear which technique they used, Corcordance or Word Sketch. Students were not meant to use the corpus tool at the time, which is fine, but as you noticed Part B is a little confusing. It’s not clear whether the students need to read the table and think of more verbs, or whether this is suggested answer key that was perhaps placed too close to the actual task.

Siti Asmiyah
                                  Participant
                                      @siti-asmiyah

I read and observe all the four task but will focus on task 2 only which I found interesting.

its purpose/learning objectives: the purpose is not explicitly written but I think the objective of the task is to enable students find the concordances of the phrases goes up and goes down, the synonym and the context of use.
                                      task instructions:t the instructions are clear and staged, showing that the teacher wants the students draw the words from the context they will mainly use in their discipline.

layout: It is well-layouted and easy to follow.
                                      corpus techniques used: No techniques are provided but the teacher provides the list of useful phrases from BAWE.
                                      any links or answer keys included: No links or answer keys provided.

Anastasios Asimakopoulos
                                      Keymaster
                                          @anastasios

Thanks for your contribution @siti-asmiyah We would normally expect specific instructions if the students had to use the tool on the own and, ideally, some visuals that guide them; the same way we do it in our guides. In this task, the participants were asked to extract data from the corpus and incorporate them. However, it is a little difficult to replicate the teacher’s search and identify how they chose the phrases in the table. For example, here you can see my attempt to find verbs two positions to the right of the phrase the rate – see link. The concordance lines don’t seem to include any of the phrases in the materials.

Siti Asmiyah
                                          Participant
                                              @siti-asmiyah

Thank you for the explanation Anastasios

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.