Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
        @david

Please add any comments about the third unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
        2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
        3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
        4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
        Sue Everest
        Participant
          @sue

Navigation and design:

I’m finding my way around quite well. Sometimes I get timed out, if an activity takes me a while and then I find it quite frustrating to find my way back to where I was, especially if I was just making a contribution.

Content:

I’ve been trying out Wordwall this week for class. I’ve been having all sorts of issues with my work laptop this week (it’s packed up and it’s got to go back!), which meant I couldn’t try them out today, which was frustrating as I’d spent time making the activities. However, at least it meant I had some links to send via my line manager. I think she was quite impressed.

Timing:

This week I’ve blocked out chunks of time to crack on with the course, which I have found beneficial and still manageable.

Difficulty:

I still feel like I’m just scratching the surface and making basic errors. Luckily for me, you guys are kind!

David Read
          Keymaster
            @david

as always @sue, really appreciate the feedback, navigation is still something we’re working on. With forum contributions I’ve found it better to write them in a separate document (Word/Google Doc/notes app) first and then transfer them across because occasionally I’ve had the same thing happen when I’ve accidentally clicked away or closed the tab and lost my work!

Brenda Allen
            Participant
              @azurial

Navigation and design: I’m just wondering if there is an easier way to return to the Unit tasks? I may be completely imagining it, but I seem to remember there being a faster shortcut on the EAP Technologies course? I found I kept losing my place this week, with so many screens to juggle about the place and lots of fiddling about.
              Content: Very useful.
              Timing: I think the timings in general may be a little optimistic – allowing for reading, application, revision and especially thinking time. I should maybe add that time is not at all an issue as far as I am concerned. I’m just commenting in case it is helpful – and to see how others are finding it.
              Difficulty: It was suitably scaffolded but I confess to struggling at times. The videos were very helpful and reassuring in this, thanks.

Georgina Lloyd
              Participant
                @georgie_l

Navigation and design: 
                I feel I can navigate the course well and I like how it is staged. Thinking about what @azurial says above, most of the time I have a Unit menu on the left, but not always!

I feel like I want an easier way to get to the Forum. The Forum’s are embedded in the Units, which makes sense, but is there a way to see all the Forum topics and posts in one place?

Content:
                Very useful. I’m really enjoying the readings and feel like I’m learning a lot about the principles of e-learning. The note-taking activity that we did about the H5P activities specifically asked about EAP teaching. This is fine for me, but I wondered if it should more broadly address language teaching?

Timing:
                I think it probably took a little longer than 4-5 hours.

Difficulty:
                No it was suitably scaffolded, especially because of the videos explaining HP5. I think without them I would have found the website a bit difficult. I managed to work out the column one, more or less, but still need a lot more practice.

David Read
                Keymaster
                  @david

@azurial and @georgie_l thanks for the feedback, precise and very useful. As Georgie mentions, you can navigate the course using the side menu, though this might be closed while on a course page and you can open it by clicking on the arrow (see picture below). In terms of getting back to the course home page, you can click on the course title at the top of the side menu (see picture below):

Georgie, you can access the complete forum from the course home page, I think it needs to be a bit more prominent. But there’s a button just below the news at the top that takes you to the complete forum (see picture below):

Georgie, you also make a good point about the H5P activities specifically asking about EAP teaching and should perhaps encompass language teaching more generally. I think we take this on a course by course basis, if the participants are mainly (or completely) EAP teachers, then we’ll adjust the content to make it a bit more EAP focussed; if there’s a wider spectrum of teachers, we’ll make it more general EFL.

We’ll keep working to make the course navigation, content and timings accurate and suitable, your feedback is really useful in helping us do that.

Brenda Allen
                    Participant
                      @azurial

Hi @david, thanks for the reminder to open the side menu with the arrow and how to revert to the home page through the button. It makes all the difference when juggling around. Also, just to let you know that I did successfully complete that embedding exercise after your instructions in the session today! I’m still working on resolving the H5P link issue…

Paul Middlemas
                    Participant
                      @paul-m

Navigation and design: As with the previous 2 units, I’ve found the course very easy to navigate, bookmarking the site and using the sidebar makes it easier. Sometimes you seem to get the ‘green tick’ before completely finishing one of the topics, so I find it always useful to check this (if I’ve forgotten what stage I was at).

Content: I think I need some more time with H5P. I’ve made a couple of attempt at activities but I think taking more hours to play around with the different activity types would be beneficial so plan to do this (until the free trial expires!). This tool is already being used within IC materials at USIC, so it’s been great to get more of an insight into things…

Timing: Just about… as above, I could so with spending more time practising using the content, and more creatively. But 4-5 hours seems a good amount of time to complete the unit.

Difficulty: Yes, I think it’s scaffolded fine and logically, and I like that each until is beginning with the theory before moving to the tools and content creation stages..

Thanks!

Brenda Allen
                        Participant
                          @azurial

Good point about the green ticks. They often seem to appear pre-maturely despite, eg, the required tasks still not being completed. This skews the percentage completed, until you catch up, and makes it more likely to omit something – so important to check through, as you say.

David Read
                        Keymaster
                          @david

thanks @paul-m and @azurial for the feedback. The green ticks are a fairly blunt tool to be honest, they can’t really track what you’ve done on that page, they basically just show that you’ve ‘visited’ that page, so they tick themselves as soon as you open the page. There is an option where the green tick only appears when you click a ‘Complete this topic’ button at the bottom of the page, but we tried that and people seemed to get confused/annoyed by it, so we dropped it :-)

Brenda Allen
                            Participant
                              @azurial

Yes, @david, it’s only a minor point, really. The ‘percentage completed’ is fun and motivating – as long as you bear in mind that it may be giving a slightly optimistic picture at times.

Robert Jackson
                            Participant
                              @robj

Reflecting on the course
                              What’s the value of having review sections in an online course? Do you think they are useful?

Definitely!

Zsofia Tarjani
                              Participant
                                @zsofit

Navigation and design: It’s still easy to follow and navigate.  The only thing perhaps is what @david mentioned about the green buttons.  I missed some tasks but they got ticked- I don’t exclude the possibility that I’d ticked them though-,  so it’s harder to find them now.

Content: I really liked this unit but as @paul-m said, fiddling around with H5P will be beneficial. I’ve tried it but I wouldn’t say I’m comfortable with it as yet.

Timing: Material creation takes time but again being more comfortable with the tools will speed things up.

Difficulty: It’s absolutely doable but does take time.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.