Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      David Read
      Keymaster
          @david

Please add any comments about the third unit, particularly in the following areas:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?
          2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?
          3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?
          4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?
          Joanne Tindall
          Participant
              @jomtindall

The content and timing was about right.

In terms of difficulty, the videos were helpful. It would have been good to have one about embedding audio and more details about ‘column’. I got a bit confused and it took longer than I thought to work it all out. No matter. It was a good learning experience and I enjoyed using the software.

David Read
              Keymaster
                  @david

thanks @jomtindall for the feedback, helpful as always. For future courses, I’ll look at creating a video for the columns option. The problem with H5P is that there are so many different activities that creating videos for them would be a bit of a Herculean task, but I think that is a really useful one to focus on.

Helen Shaw-Cotterill
                  Participant
                      @helen-sc

I agree with Joanne, a How To video on using Column would have been good as it sounds a useful function to use.

Otherwise it was all OK. The first text to read was a bit long though :wacko:

Akiko IWATA
                      Participant
                          @akiko

I agree with others. I havn’t tried the audio yet because it seems takes time which I guess from the comment of @jomtindall, but I will try maybe next month. I’d like to try to make interactive video later.

It was well designed and I felt that we can learn step by step. In that sense, probably we can learn about audio, column and other tips in the next unit, not in this unit, because for me it’s full enough. I have made a Japanese content to check whether it works in Japanese  and it was just great.

The content was great, especially for the reading material, though a little bit tough. I believe this book will become a bible (a or the??) for me, also.

Now I have a quetion about the article. I wanted to ask you in the zoom session but I have a hoarse voice now, and don’t know whether I can attend in the next session or can speak, so I’d like to ask here.

1. I would like to know about the “metaphors of learning”. I do understand and I agree the “Knowledge Construction” will work well from the cognitive theory view. In my experience, most Japanese (except for the younger generation) really love the “Information Acquisition” type of learning, and most Indonesian love the “Response Strengthening” type of learning. They often ask me to deliver such kind of class rather than Knowledge Construction type of class even they enjoy it. They say it is because they are already be used to such classes. Is there any good idea to change their mind, because they think the way they are used to is more valuabel (because full of information, or because they are forcerd to study). Any frank idea is welcome.

2. This is just from my curiosity. How much time will you spend on these 2 pages in unit 11 about coffee if you teach?

3. This is not a question. About the wordwall font size problem I asked last week. Now, I found the reason. It was because the words and the sentences were too long. Now I could share Japanese version to some Indonesian participants (caregiver candidates). If any of you would like to see Japanese, just click the link below.

Tania Pacheco
                          Participant
                              @tania-pacheco

My feedback for the following:

1. Navigation and design: how easy was it to navigate the course and content?

For me, it was manageable, I am getting used to the layout and it is clear and all the videos about “how to” for the H5P tasks were very helpful. I have also checked some of those videos advertised on their website. They helped me to get my hands on the creation of the most challenging tasks.
                              2. Content: how useful is the content to your teaching/working situation?

The content is helping me to refresh the reading that I did years and years ago, it is helping to close some gaps that I was having and it is also challenging me to improve my teaching planning, and finally, I being more reflective about it.

3. Timing: was it possible to work through all the content in the estimated 4-5 hours?

Yes, I think I am getting used to have a routine. Going back to learning was difficult for me, as it has been a long time that I haven’t done it.

4. Difficulty: was the material suitably scaffolded or did you feel it was too challenging?

Yes, it is quite well scaffolded. I had difficulties when I had a go the first time with the H5P website but then I’ve got used to the layout and I wanted to carry on creating more activities. I was not able to add another task – the “Dictation” one as a task No.4 because it did not give me the option in the “interactive book”. However, as a single task one can do it: https://tocalapetaca.h5p.com/content/1291779872523410847  I have also had the problem that I was unable to get rid of the phrase of the numbers of attemps.

Overall, I have enjoyed this unit :-)   Thanks!

ann clayton
                              Participant
                                  @ann-c

Navigation and design: fine, advice on the audio was useful
                                  Content: the info on general slide design is really helpful and helping review current practice.  The use of HP5 would become more familiar with practice and opportunities to pilot and review activities
                                  Timing: spent a long time trying to work through the different types of activity, fiddling with uniformity, not being pleased with the result.  Seeing other peoples was very helpful
                                  Difficulty: the advice on the forum meant challenges could be overcome quickly.  I also used the extra info on the HP5 website

Linda Roth
                                  Participant
                                      @tinkerbell

I enjoyed this unit. I would have liked to have spent more time trying out the different activities & hope to do so in the next few weeks before my subscription runs out!

Amon Ezike
                                      Participant
                                          @amon246

Navigation and design: Navigation and design was fine
                                          Content: Content was useful. Video content was good.
                                          Timing: Timing was not great, spent a lot of time in the practical activity, trying different activity for the H5P, the H5P is a bit fiddly
                                          Difficulty: It was not too bad but the software has some nice feature which takes a bit of time to master

David Read
                                          Keymaster
                                              @david

thanks @akiko @tania-pacheco @ann-c @tinkerbell and @amon246 for your feedback on the unit, always very helpful.

@akiko
                                              , thanks for sharing those activities and the advice about reducing sentence length. That is always going to be a constraint with a lot of these tools, most of them are designed for individual words or short phrases and not really for longer sentences or paragraphs. This is particularly going to be an issue for students viewing content on mobiles and tablets.

Akiko, your question about metaphors for learning is a fascinating one but a challenging one to answer in such a short space! Students tend to be resistant to change from what they know, even if a different approach might be more effective for them. In many cases it’s a question of introducing some of these new ideas/techniques in small amounts and not too often. So, ten minutes at the start or end of a more traditional lesson you can attempt a different kind of activity that focusses more on knowledge construction rather than information acquisition or response strengthening. This might be a group activity or self-study task or similar. It’s about moving from the known to the unknown in very gradual steps. But you are right, it can be difficult when your students tend to have those kinds of lessons in a lot of their other classes.

Richard Davie
                                              Participant
                                                  @egq22rd

As others found: this was a sudden jump in practical stuff to get your head around, but the take a page of pre-exsiting book content and reform it for on-line delivery is very useful. Just wish I had more time to play.

This unit’s chapter from the Clark & Mayer book felf far more useful.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.